connect to wireless internet failed

pethom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
A friend of mine bought herself a new computer with Windows Vista. She decided to try out the possibilities to find open wireless networks were I live and tried it through the controlpanel and "wireless networks". She found a network and got connected to the internet. I decided to try the same with my Windows XP computer which is about three years old, but didn´t succeed. The question is why? Did she get connected just because her computer is a new one with better WLAN card or is it thanks to windows vista?

When I open "connect to wireless network" I find nothing, she finds one open network and three closed ones. I have an intern card for wireless network as does she. So the question is why doesn´t my computer show anything?

does it help if I by a USB adapter for wireless network?

pethom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006

I haven't installed any firewall yet. The only one Iv'e got is the one Microsoft gave me together with my OS. I do have AVG antivirus thoughantivirus , but I don't think it can block any access to the internet.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

Have you disabled the Microsoft firewall? Check you friends settings, e.g., is your Internet Protocol set to automatic? Are your Work Groups the same?

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
Most wireless cards come with software to establish connections to wireless routers, have you installed this software or are you using windows wireless connection? I have experienced problems woth using supplied software so have used the Windows connection software instead and vice versa.

The fact your seeing no networks at all is unusual but could be due to the fact the routers are configured for g networks only and you have an old b network card, unlikely but possible. I have never known XP firewall to interfere with establishing a connection wirelessly but it is possible, AVG will not be a problem. If you have never used the card before you may just have a faulty one, buying a USB wireless adaptor would probably work but try updating your drivers on the old one first. Does it show in device manager as enabled and working?

pethom

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
"Most wireless cards come with software to establish connections to wireless routers, have you installed this software or are you using windows wireless connection?"

I´m using the software that comes with Windows.

"Does it show in device manager as enabled and working?"

It shows in Device Manager as enabled and working.

I´ll try to reinstall Windows and update the drivers.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006

I think what chiller is referring to is the set disk that comes with the wireless card.

chiller

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2007
G-paw is right, I am referring to the setup disks that often come with wireless network cards, if integrated on a laptop you will have to go to the laptop vendors website and download the drivers for that wireless adaptor.

Re-installing XP is a bit extreme and I would not go down that route yet, when you installed XP did you let XP find the drivers for all your devices? If you did, this could be your problem as XP has a tendancy to install drivers that appear to work (look fine in device manager) but don't actually work properly in the real world. You should always get the latest drivers for all your devices i.e. display drivers, chipset drivers, sound etc from the relevant vendor and install on your machine after installing XP.

I mainly use XP's integrated wireless software to establish wireless connections but I have had to on some occassions use the card vendors software.

Hope this helps