Connect two houses into one network over the internet

dombov

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017
I want to setup a network which connects two houses (my house and my mother in law's house) over the internet. I have a 200MB Virgin Media internet connection, and she has a PlusNet fibre connection (at about 50MB) and I want to set things up so that whilst both houses have access to the internet etc. all the devices connected in either house are still "visible" to each other as if we were all sat in the same house. I guess it is kind of like a corporate network. At my end, I have a wired/wireless network with patch panels, switches, routers and wireless access points (x4) and at her end, there is 1 x wireless router. Any ideas? The key is for all devices on the network in either house to behave as if it was physically within the same building. Cheers.

mattbar

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2014
I could probably figure it out if I was setting it up myself but here's some methods. Idk which one if any would work. But atleast it's something.

VLAN (short for virtual local area network)
Bridge
Static route

Sorry I couldn't be much help

In order to achieve that, you have to put some corporate-level equipment behind the modems (preferably directly exposed to Internet).
That equipment (advanced router / VPN server/client) will do the following functions:
- establish VPN tunnel between locations (one end will act as client, other as server);
- function as bidirectional firewall (so that internet traffic is routed directly to Internet, and "other house" traffic is directed thru the tunnel).

If you want to sacrifice some functionality, you can set one of the location permanently thru a VPN tunnel to the other (by properly setting up the routers).

dombov

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Thank you for the information. I will do some investigating. Thanks again.

dombov

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Thank you for that. I have a cable modem which is connected directly to my ISP. This then connects to a TP-Link Archer C3200 Wireless Router which manages the firewall side of things. This then connects to a 32 port switch which has connections to wired networking points throughout the house. I have three further wireless routers (a combination of TP-Link and Billion), which all works a treat. We have 200MB broadband, and it delivers this around the house really nicely. If you can point me in the right direction on the hardware, I would really appreciate it, as whilst I strung all of the above together myself, I am more databases and software than networking! Thanks for your help.

All these routers you have will do nothing by themselves. You ask for corporate functionality out of consumer stuff.

Reread my post - you want to establish a VPN tunnel between these places. These routers are actually gateways, and you can't define two networks worth a route thru the VPN tunnels between them

dombov

Prominent
Jun 15, 2017

Hi, I was just listing in more detail the kit that I have already on the off chance that some of it had the required functionality, If I need to purchase some corporate grade gear to facilitate this, then I will consider it, as I can always try and find second hand gear. From what you are saying, I need different routers to create a VPN tunnel between the two locations which can then be configured as a single network? Can you tell me the specific functionality they need to have (e.g. bridge) and I will investigate purchasing what is needed.

Many thanks,