Connect two PCs over the ineternet

alex

I have two PCs one at home and one at work... PC at work has XP pro, PC at
home has XP Home, both computeres connect two the internet using DSL. Is
there any way for me to put the computers on some kind of network... so that
I can share files and stuff between them...

Put pcAnywhere on both. Assign static LAN IP's and, if you have a dynamic
WAN IP, use some forwarding service such as www.no-ip.com
You will need to forward the associated port in your router to the LAN IP of
the host machine.
Works very well and does a very decent file transfer.

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have two PCs one at home and one at work... PC at work has XP pro, PC at
> home has XP Home, both computeres connect two the internet using DSL. Is
> there any way for me to put the computers on some kind of network... so
> that
> I can share files and stuff between them...

alex

Excuse my limited knowledge, but......

What is pcAnwhere, where do I get it...
Also, I do have a dynamic IP, does the web site you mentioned, give
instructions into how to change it into a static IP???

"Alan White" wrote:

> Put pcAnywhere on both. Assign static LAN IP's and, if you have a dynamic
> WAN IP, use some forwarding service such as www.no-ip.com
> You will need to forward the associated port in your router to the LAN IP of
> the host machine.
> Works very well and does a very decent file transfer.
>

> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have two PCs one at home and one at work... PC at work has XP pro, PC at
> > home has XP Home, both computeres connect two the internet using DSL. Is
> > there any way for me to put the computers on some kind of network... so
> > that
> > I can share files and stuff between them...

See http://www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/ for information on
PCanywhere...

But for your quandry, you can set up a VPN link (see
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm and
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm). In addition, on
the machine you deem as the "server", you will need to forward TCP
Port 1723 in your router to the "server" private IP address. See
http://portforward.com for information on how to do this...
---
Jeffrey Randow (Windows Networking MVP)

http://www.remotenetworktechnology.com
Windows Network Technology Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/centers/networking/default.mspx
Windows Home Networking Community -
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/communities/wireless.mspx

On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:33:01 -0800, "Alex"