Question Connect two routers - from internet provider to new one

Aug 13, 2019
I have a question about connect two routers. Atm I have combo (modem + router) Cisco epc3925 from my internet provider and all my devices are connect to it. Now I want to connect the second router because my provider got “bad network” - while the router is resetting, I can see for a short while two devices outside my network (information from eset smart security). I think I’ll buy a TP-Link Archer C1200 (1200Mb/s a/b/g/n/ac) USB DualBand.
I have full access to the Cisco router, but I cannot set it as a bridge mode, and here there is only the option to choose between DHCP and StaticIP.
So I would like to have this setting: Cisco as a device that transmits the signal to TPlink, to which all my devices will be connected
Cisco LAN1 – Tplink WAN - all my devices to lan1-4 and wifi.
For this to work properly probably I will need to change the IP address on these devices. Cisco - 192.168.1.1, TPLink - 192.168.2.1
I have read that this solution will work correctly but some apps need UPNP and will work on TPLink while Cisco will block, becouse apps will see double NAT . Will the applications work correctly: battlenet, origin, steam etc and online games from those?

If I'm wrong, correct me and write how to solve this problem of connecting two routers.
Thx for all answers and sorry for my english

TL;DR

Is often recommended home users run on ONE SUBNET. Double NATing, double subnets introduces problems.

One WIFI router is typically the NAT device, 2nd WIFI router if present is advised to be configured as a simple Access Point like THIS.

Aug 13, 2019
OK I have new information.

My internet provider can exchange router Cisco EPC3925 for modem Cisco DPC 3008 . The parameters of both modems are the same, so I will connect Cisco DPC 3008 with TPLINK Archer C1200
If I have a setup EPC3008 - TP-link Archer C1200, then the problems of visibility of these devices by ESET smartsecurity will disappear?
Because if I think correctly when modem Cisco DPC3008 is restarting (resetting), then TPlink will give me information about the lack of access to the internet but will not see anything (detect nothing) outside of it because everything will initialize on the modem? I'm right?
Do you recommend this TPlink?

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS