[SOLVED] Connect USB-wifi-dongle to DVD-player through ethernet port (RJ45)?

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
Hi all.
I have a Sony BDP-S1200 blu-ray player, which has an ethernet port (RJ45). There are USB to RJ45 adapters available which will enable me to physically connect a USB-wifi-dongle to the ethernet port. But will that work, i.e. will it enable me to get wifi through the ethernet port?
s-l300.jpg
b2dd349e-5a8d-4388-8449-9b1245c61214_1.d3c65c05dce2548fafd6c0af698c0bf6.jpeg

Solution
You actually have the answer in your question. The adapter is USB to rj45. Not USB to ethernet. Although the most common use of rj45 is ethernet there are very many. It for example is common to get dsl with rj45 connectors.

The largest issue you have is there is no way to load the device driver the wifi adapter needs into your DVD player.

What you need is hardware that can do the conversion.

What you need is called a client-bridge. They used to be sold for game consoles before they all got wifi. The new devices that do this are sold as repeaters/extenders. You can just choose to only use client-bridge part.
You actually have the answer in your question. The adapter is USB to rj45. Not USB to ethernet. Although the most common use of rj45 is ethernet there are very many. It for example is common to get dsl with rj45 connectors.

The largest issue you have is there is no way to load the device driver the wifi adapter needs into your DVD player.

What you need is hardware that can do the conversion.

What you need is called a client-bridge. They used to be sold for game consoles before they all got wifi. The new devices that do this are sold as repeaters/extenders. You can just choose to only use client-bridge part.

Solution

JeppeArne

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2014
I found out that my player does not have wifi, so I think I'll settle for cabled use of the device. I just thought there might be an easy way to lead wireless Internet signal into the player, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Thanks to all.