[SOLVED] Connect wired to the AP

Jim Farthing

Honorable
Sep 28, 2014
I have what I hope is not a stupid question...

I have xfinity internet on my apartment and the wifey does not want cables running all over. We have one computer in the living room where the modem is and one in each beedroom which are at opposite ends of the apartment. I have a Netgear WNDR4500v,2 that I know I can set to bridge mode. However, if I set it up under bridge, then the wired ports do not work.

So my question is... Is there a way that I can, in essence, use this router to connect to the network wirelessly and have the wired ports work so I can plug a desktop into it? I have tried wireless cards for the desktop and all of them have flaws.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Jim

Solution
This is where it would be nice if the industry used consistent terms to describe things.

A AP is a form of bridge but it acts as a "server". Like a router it allows end device to connect to it. What you need is a bridge that acts as a end device and can connect to at router or AP. This is called client-bridge. It is not a common feature on a router. It is more a feature of a repeater or extender...again terms that are not used consistently.

It may not really make any difference. All a client bridge is a wifi nic that can be connected to your computer via ethernet. A USB connected wifi nic card is more or less the same thing if you only consider the wifi reception abilities. It really will not work all that much better...
This is where it would be nice if the industry used consistent terms to describe things.

A AP is a form of bridge but it acts as a "server". Like a router it allows end device to connect to it. What you need is a bridge that acts as a end device and can connect to at router or AP. This is called client-bridge. It is not a common feature on a router. It is more a feature of a repeater or extender...again terms that are not used consistently.

It may not really make any difference. All a client bridge is a wifi nic that can be connected to your computer via ethernet. A USB connected wifi nic card is more or less the same thing if you only consider the wifi reception abilities. It really will not work all that much better than a wifi nic. Now if you could run it 20ft down the hall on a ethernet cable maybe it would be different.

The best solution likely is to use powerline networks. If you really want wifi in the remote location you can plug the "AP" into the powerline units

Solution