Connect Xbox One Controller just with a cable

SimonPeca

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017
Hello community,

I bought a Xbox One Wireless Controller + Adapter kit and I wondered if it is possible to connect it just by plugging in the micro-usb-cable.
Using a cable + wireless adapter works perfectly, but if I plug in just the cable and turn on the device, it searches for a wireless connection and windows does not recognize the controller.

On Microsoft website for connecting a controller it is described as simple as plug'n'play, but as I experienced, this does not work at all.
Do I have to install any additional driver in order to use the controller on its own?

It's not that big of an issue, but it would be pleasant to use just one cable, because the usb wireless adapter gets pretty hot after a while.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Yes it's a constant glow.

Open device manager, scroll down to the bottom where it says xbox peripherals, open the drop down and double click on xbox controller, click on the driver tab, unplug your wireless adapter, click update driver, then plug in the controller without the adapter and see if the light goes solid.

If it doesn't work, unplug the controller, you can try 'uninstall device' on the same page, restart the computer after you uninstall, boot into windows then plug in the controller, give it a second to install the driver and hopefully that fixes it.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
"Using a cable + wireless adapter works perfectly" Why would you do that? So the adapter has a micro usb port? Why not just use it wirelessly?

I use an Xbox one controller on my pc, all I do is plug in my micro usb from the controller to a usb port on my pc and it works, no adapter required. The first time I plugged it in windows detected it and installed the driver automatically. It was plug and play for me.

SimonPeca

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Because the cable powers the controller and you don't need batteries that way.

Does the xbox symbol glow continuously if you plug in the controller?
Mine flashes like it is searching for a wireless connection...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Yes it's a constant glow.

Open device manager, scroll down to the bottom where it says xbox peripherals, open the drop down and double click on xbox controller, click on the driver tab, unplug your wireless adapter, click update driver, then plug in the controller without the adapter and see if the light goes solid.

If it doesn't work, unplug the controller, you can try 'uninstall device' on the same page, restart the computer after you uninstall, boot into windows then plug in the controller, give it a second to install the driver and hopefully that fixes it.

Solution

SimonPeca

Prominent
Mar 13, 2017

Thank you! I finnaly made it :)
The key was to plug it in a few times and let windows detect it as a single device without the usb adapter. Rebooting helped too, because my pc got a bit confused with all the swapping between usb ports :D