connected a bad hard drive to extract data and computer won't boot since

Roy Eldar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
my computer won't start. I've assembled a new computer around 10 days ago and it worked and everything, but a hard drive in a different computer at home stopped working and i wanted to extract the data on the drive. i connected the hard drive to my computer and when i turned it on the lights and fans worked but it seems there was no bios displayed or startup. i disconnected the hard drive and turned on the computer, yet the same result occured.

specs:
msi gtx 950 gaming 2g
i5-6600k
gigabyte ga-h110m-a
WD caviar blue 1TB
g.skill fury DDR4 2X4gb
antec vp500 500w

the hard drive i connected is WD 1TB green (WD10EZRX)

Ralston18

Titan
How did you connect the hard drive from the "different computer"?

As I read your post you physically removed the drive from the new computer and replaced it with the drive from the "different computer"?

Start by rechecking all of the power and data cables. Make sure all are correct, firmly plugged in and snug. Check all other cables and connections as well. Could be something was bumped or pulled loose while swapping the drives about.

If that does not work try replacing the power and data cables with known working cables. Maybe a cable was damaged via the unplugging/plugging process. Cables/connectors are not as well made as in the past.

Roy Eldar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016

i removed the hard drive from the old computer and installed it as an additional hard drive, using the SATA cable from the old computer. I'll try swapping everything and making sure it aint loose

Roy Eldar

Commendable
Jul 15, 2016
i connected the pc to a monitor through the motherboard and the graphics card, both do not show any display...
is there a chance connecting the hard drive messed up any of my pc components?