Connected to network but no program works

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hello, I have little trouble with my NTB. When I connect to network (wifi/lan, with net/without net it doesn't matter) programs can't be run. I tried to reinstall all network drivers but nothing happend and problem is still here. Any suggestions?

Win7 HomePrem 64-bit SP1
AMD Turion II P520 DualCore (2,29GHz)
RAM 4 GB

PLEASE HELP IT'S VERY IMPORTANT

zycuda

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
What do you mean programs cant be run? Do they work when you have no internet and not work when you have internet?

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Yes when NTB isn't connected to network everything works. But when I connect it to network I can't start any program and Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work too and I have to turn it off with power button. But this happens also when I connect NTB to network without internet.

zycuda

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
Then I would assume something is interfering with windows that isn't in safe mode. I would guess its a piece of hardware that doesn't get accessed in safe mode

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

+1 ^

If it works fine in safe mode. All safe mode does is basically runs the OS with the minimal amount of drivers and apps it possibly can.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Not done looking yet. svchost.exe is common and when you look at process's your going to see multiple instances of them. You still need to figure out which svhost.exe is the issue and what service is running off of it.

IT could also be a virus/malware. I would start with a AV scan followed by what hedwar2011 suggested and do a malware scan also.

Then go to the link below and that will explain what to do next. In my opinion i think you'll find the root cause of your issue is some type of infection virus or malware.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

(link explains what svchost.exe is used for and how to tell what service is running off of each one etc.)

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
AV scan found no virus/malware
and in Autoruns I don't know what should I stop
but it seems that the problem svchost contains: BITS, Winmgmt, ShellHWDetection, wuauserv, LanmanServer and MMCSS

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
and maybe this could help:
Svchost process analyzer found problems (warnings) about these Services:
- lmhost
- NlaSvc
- nsi
- WinHttpAutoProxySvc
- WinDefend

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012
Go into msconfig and disable all startup apps. Then go to the services tab, check hide all microsoft services and disable the rest of those. (these will be the AV stuff etc.) Reboot.

What AV are you running? WinDefend shouldn't be ran with some AV's and could be causing issues.

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
OK quys I don't know what to do. So I am going to use revocer from backup bit copy of system. Is it good idea? And what about data files will they stay where they are or will they be deleted (I have to partitions system one and data one)?

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
May be before I use the recovery. I found that seems like problem with windows update. I can't run it and it seems there is no windows update (I installed many of them). And I am running MalwareBytes in safe mode (without WinDefend). And when I try to run it the svchost.exe (netsvcs) appears and everything goes wrong. But when I don't use any updaters everything seems OK.

EDIT:
Not completly ok. I realized that sound doesn't work and there might be thing which doesn't work (but I haven't noticed them yet).

You could possibly be dealing with an infection caused by the Conficker virus. It was a very nasty bug a few years ago that went seemingly undetected for quite a while. If you have all your data backed up, you might want to go ahead and nuke the installation, delete the partition, re-create it, and reformat and reinstall. svchost.exe is one of the more common files that viruses recently have been targeting because of the access it has throughout the entire system.

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013

Yes I was thinking about this and search some forums and try some ways to find out if this my problem. But everything seems that there is no Conficker. And I hope AV software should find it or am I wrong?

EDIT:
But do you think that recovery from bit copy of system (not complete reinstall) will help?

To be honest no virus protection is 100%. You could have had one at some point and it was resolved during an idle scan and you would have never known it and are just now seeing the remnants start causing problems.

System protection a lot of times is only as good as the person using it and what they allow (no offense intended :) )

Would Conficker be detected by a anti-virus? Yes and no. It would only be recognized if that particular strand is identified on your computer.

Just for kicks and giggles, I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to run some diagnostics on your hard drive and see how it comes back. It's not likely it's a bad hard drive but it could possibly be bad sectors as well.

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Theoretically yes it should find it. Honestly at this point before nuking the entire drive. I would create a rescue disk boot from it and let it scan. It's good about finding/fixing infections that otherwise hide themselves from the AV and or mess with your av so it's unable to cure it. Simply because you never boot into windows.

http://www.avg.com/us-en/avg-rescue-cd

Give that a shot. I agree with the above it sounds like an infection to me. If that doesn't work back up your important data and continue with the sledge hammer.

Killingstorm

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
OK guys. Problem solved. There was no virus/malware but the windows update was broken. And I solved it with this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058/cs. However thank you for your help and time.