Question Connected to network, no internet or access to router page

Cjchris

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Since lockdown has started With I’ve periodically lost access to the internet.
When this happens all of my devices are still connected to the network but I lose access to both my router and my modem via their respected addresses.
My question is if this is a normal occurrence?
I would of thought everything Local would still be accessible unless something more nefarious was going on.

mattb

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
What router are you using?
Do you still have an IP address when things are disconnected? Can you ping the router?
I had a TP-Link router that would lock up sometimes and act like this and resetting the router would get it going again. I recently replaced that router and that problem has gone away.

Cjchris

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Hi
No when the internet connection goes there’s 100% packet loss to the router.
I’m using an Asus 3100 router which is a recent purchase.
I’ve had this issue with the virgin super hub 2 in both router and modem mode and the same thing happens all packets get lost. Two days ago we upgraded to the super hub 3 and have the same issue.
The connection will drop for a few minutes at a time repeatedly until it becomes stable again this can last between 5 minutes up to a few hours.
Yesterday I was monitoring packets using Wireshark between my computer and the router when the connection goes the router is pinging the computer who has the routers address.

It’s quite a strange one if the connection goes on the ISP side I would still expect to be able to access my routers IP address.