Connected to wifi, but can't get online

ozzyfangirl

Prominent
Sep 8, 2017
I have a laptop with windows 8.1 that won't get online anymore. It was online earlier today, working fine, but then I restarted it and it wouldn't get online anymore. I restarted the router, it's fine. My phone is connected to the same wifi and it's working fine. The laptop will connect to the network, but says it connecting slower than usual, then it will say limited access, so it connected to the wifi, but it's not working. When I open the wifi properties, it says nothing is sending or receiving. I also entered ipconfig in the command prompt and noticed my gateway up is blank, why would that be? I've tried restarting the computer again and the problem doesn't fix itself, what should I do?

Solution
Well for starters Windows 8 is crap and for good reasons, this being one of them.

Make sure the latest drivers for wifi are installed for your make model then you can try using a static IP to connect.
To connect with static IP do the following:

Right click the wifi icon on you task bar
Select Network and sharing center
Select manage adapters
Right click on wifi connection
Select properties
Select ipv4
Click properties
Enter your desired IP address for your PC.
It will fall in line with the IP of your router
For example: if your router IP is 192.168.0.1 then your PC IP will be 192.168.0.? Where ? Is whatever number between 2 and 255 you choose as long as it's not already assigned to another device

Then for subnet use 255.255.255.0
For...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Well for starters Windows 8 is crap and for good reasons, this being one of them.

Make sure the latest drivers for wifi are installed for your make model then you can try using a static IP to connect.
To connect with static IP do the following:

Right click the wifi icon on you task bar
Select Network and sharing center
Select manage adapters
Right click on wifi connection
Select properties
Select ipv4
Click properties
Enter your desired IP address for your PC.
It will fall in line with the IP of your router
For example: if your router IP is 192.168.0.1 then your PC IP will be 192.168.0.? Where ? Is whatever number between 2 and 255 you choose as long as it's not already assigned to another device

Then for subnet use 255.255.255.0
For gateway use the default IP of your router

Leave dns automatic.

Apply settings and you should hopefully be connected

Solution