Connected to Wireless Router can't get to internet

todkbear

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I have a Linksys WRT610Nv1. It worked perfect for about a year until my internet whent out. I reset my modem and router and a day later my wireless connection couldn't connect to the internet. I can connect to my router wirelessly but I can not get out to the interenet. However if I use a wired connection I can connect to the internet. I tried power cycling everything, releasing ip - renewing ip, cloning MAC address, changing beacon interval, fragmentation & rts threshold, changing router ip address, disabling encryption, disabling my firewall, upgrading firmware, upgrading wireless drivers. I tried removing the wireless from my device manager and reloading it. Also tried using Cisco's Network Magic to repair the connection

I even bought a brand new WRT610Nv2 and had the same problem. I spent four hours on the phone with linksys technical support, and they couldn't help. They just went through the basics and everything I had already tried. I've call comcast tech support, and they say it's a router problem and they can't help me.

I can access the internet when I am wired directly to the router (or modem). When I am connected to the router wirelessly I can not access the internet. I can't even get to the router set up, but my network connections and wireless monitor show that I am in fact connected to the router. I tried to ping google when connected wirelessly but it did not work.

I have comcast cable with a RCA modem, and a Dell Inspirion laptop running XP.

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.100

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.ca.comcast.net

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.101

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

G

You've probably done these, but just in case.

Turn off wireless security in the router temporarily.

Some people advise turning off computer firewall as well.

Check that Access List (include or exclude by MAC ID) is not enabled.

todkbear

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Finally!!
I copied the MAC address of my wireless card and manually put it into the MAC address clone. That did not work, so I went back and clicked the "Clone my PC's MAC" button (which I had already done a dozen times before). After ten days, I guess the stars were aligned and the network gods were looking down on me because it suddenly started working.
Then I got crazy and tried rebooting my laptop, and it still works. Kind of scared to mess with anything now, but I'm going to live dangerously and turn the encryption back on.
Thanks to everyone who offered support.

G

It was probably restarting the modem and router which finally made it all click. They normally align when you do that (without aid from stars).

TRENDING THREADS