[SOLVED] Connecting 144hz monitor to 144hz laptop

Mar 16, 2022
I got a laptop Gigabyte G7 MD, it got a 144hz screen and once I connected it to a 144hz external monitor (Acer 27HC5RP) with HDMI 2.0 cable, the monitor only can get 120hz.
Is there any way that I can get 144hz on the external monitor? Thanks.

Solution
Yes, if both the laptop and monitor have DP ports, it should work fine.

I do the same with my Omen 15. DP will also allow you to use Freesync/Gsync if your monitor is capable.

edit: You monitor does have DP. It's possible your laptop has mini dp, or USB C which can also work.

edit: your laptop has mini dp too. Just get mini DP tp DP cable and you should be good to go.
Yes, if both the laptop and monitor have DP ports, it should work fine.

I do the same with my Omen 15. DP will also allow you to use Freesync/Gsync if your monitor is capable.

edit: You monitor does have DP. It's possible your laptop has mini dp, or USB C which can also work.

edit: your laptop has mini dp too. Just get mini DP tp DP cable and you should be good to go.

Reactions: Casper0206
Solution
I got a laptop Gigabyte G7 MD, it got a 144hz screen and once I connected it to a 144hz external monitor (Acer 27HC5RP) with HDMI 2.0 cable, the monitor only can get 120hz.
Is there any way that I can get 144hz on the external monitor? Thanks.
The monitor uses HDMI 1.4. It tops out at 1080p 120Hz. You have to use DisplayPort to get 144Hz.

Though honestly, you're not missing much.

Reactions: Casper0206