[SOLVED] Connecting 2.4ghz Smart bulbs (on 5ghz network)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 20, 2019
Hello everyone,
I just moved into an apartment for school and brought some RGB smart bulbs from home with me, however, the wifi at my apartment is 5ghz, and the smartbulbs operate on 2.4. Is there any way to convert 5ghz into 2.4 and have an access point so I can use the smart bulbs? Thanks

Solution
If you really work at it you can do this with third party firmware on router but I would not recommend it. The security on those bulbs and many other device like them is very poor. Lets say the apartment did have 2.4g you and all your neighbors devices could now see each other.

I would take a inexpensive router and hook it to the ethernet you are provided. This lets you build your own network treating the apartment as the ISP. If you need faster connections you could always switch over to the apartment wifi. I suspect that you will find the 50mbps is more than fast enough for most your activities.
Sep 20, 2019
Additionally, the download speed off their wifi is ~200 mbits down ~300 up, where as on ethernet I get ~50-60 both down and up. This isn't an issue for/relating to the bulbs, and I plan on switching to a wireless network adapter to simply avoid the issue, but was wondering if there was any suggestions as to why that could be. Thanks

In terms of the network thats something youll need to go over with your school.
My school let us (actually required us) to bring our own routers, so that fixed any 2.4 vs 5GHz networks.
Our ethernet speeds were capped at 10/10, but wifi was 100/100, using our own routers with their help got us 100/100 as well.

You generally wouldnt want to use the bulbs on a 5GHz network anyway, since 2.4 travels better through obstacles.

If you really work at it you can do this with third party firmware on router but I would not recommend it. The security on those bulbs and many other device like them is very poor. Lets say the apartment did have 2.4g you and all your neighbors devices could now see each other.

I would take a inexpensive router and hook it to the ethernet you are provided. This lets you build your own network treating the apartment as the ISP. If you need faster connections you could always switch over to the apartment wifi. I suspect that you will find the 50mbps is more than fast enough for most your activities.

Reactions: Jaredz
Solution
Sep 20, 2019

Was revisiting thread and your solution worked and I forgot to thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS