Question Connecting 2 access points to 1 router

Sep 23, 2020
I am trying to connect 2 access points to a Asus RT-AC86U router. I am using my old RT-AC66U as an access point and it works great. Then I am at a dead end after that. I still have a weak are in my home, my main TV keeps buffering and losing connection. I have a Roku stick operating that TV. I swapped Roku sticks and still have the same problem. Whenever I try to connect a second access point or extender everything goes downhill. What am I doing wrong?

kanewolf

Titan
I am trying to connect 2 access points to a Asus RT-AC86U router. I am using my old RT-AC66U as an access point and it works great. Then I am at a dead end after that. I still have a weak are in my home, my main TV keeps buffering and losing connection. I have a Roku stick operating that TV. I swapped Roku sticks and still have the same problem. Whenever I try to connect a second access point or extender everything goes downhill. What am I doing wrong?
A second access point should be no issue. What hardware are you trying to use for the second AP ?

Sep 23, 2020
Thank you for replying. I have tried a few. Right now I have the TP link AX1500 wifi booster extender. All of these connect, but it seems a 3rd device actually brings down my speed. Here is a more detailed picture. I have a ranch home with a full basement and sunroom. My only real problem right now is the main TV in the living room. I have a roku stick connected to the main TV which takes care of all my stuff, amazon, netflix, youtubetv and youtube. I have the AC86U as my main router in the basement sort of far away from the TV on the main floor. For the longest time I had the 66U in the basement underneath the mainTV and everything was good. At the same time I also had a linksys AC1900 hard wired into the sunroom for the sunroom TV which is really too far away for either Asus to be of any use. The AC1900 kind of did ok, but still a lot of video loss and buffering in the sunroom. So, a couple of months ago I moved the 66U into the Sun room and that tv was and is just fantastic. At that time I moved the AC1900 to where the 66U was directly underneath the main TV and it sucks. Somewhere I read if you have a non-gigabyte extender connected to a gigabyte router it will cause problems and slow things down and it seems the AC1900 is non gigabyte. So I removed it from my system and I have been trying other extenders with no luck at all. Today I called Spectrum just to make sure there are no problems and they say all is good. I do believe them because whenever I do the okla speedtest I usually ring up 200 mbps download on hard wired. And my firmware is up to date on my main router. Right now I am waiting for another RT-AC66U to arrive to see if that helps since I do have good luck with my old one. Do you have any other opinions?