Connecting 2 Audio Sources to One Pair of Headphones?

anishairplane

Prominent
Aug 2, 2017
I am in the market for a new pair of headphones since my current ones are broken. I will use them for watching videos and playing video games (Paragon and/or Destiny 2). My budget is around $50, and my top choice right now is the Kingston Hyperx cloud stinger.

The problem is this.

I play Paragon on a PS4, and my friend plays on a PC (there is cross play). Right now I am using my TV's audio for playing the game, and using Google Hangouts voice chat on my phone for talking to him. I want to buy headphones for listening to the game itself, but the problem is, there is no way to chat with him then. I wanted to know if there was a safe way, and a way that would preserve audio quality, to route both my phone's audio and my PS4's audio into my headphones. Or is there any way I can listen to my PS4's audio and chat with him at the same time, whether that be through an app on the PS4 or some thing else like an audio mixer (would that work? And also IDK if I can afford that).

Thanks for any help!!

Solution
If you don't care all that much about your audio quality, a simple Y cable (https://www.amazon.com/Exclusives-Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Smartphone/dp/B01MQZ2023/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1503171393&sr=8-6&keywords=y-splitter+audio+cable) would be enough to get the job done. If you care about sound quality on both ends, a mixer would be needed, which would very likely be out of your budget to get a semi-decent one.

Do your research on the Y-Splitters and that's probably your best option.

If it's pure USB I'm sure splitters exist for that too. There's adapters for nearly everything you can find, as long as you do your research.

JalYt_Justin

Reputable
Jun 12, 2017
If you don't care all that much about your audio quality, a simple Y cable (https://www.amazon.com/Exclusives-Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Smartphone/dp/B01MQZ2023/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1503171393&sr=8-6&keywords=y-splitter+audio+cable) would be enough to get the job done. If you care about sound quality on both ends, a mixer would be needed, which would very likely be out of your budget to get a semi-decent one.

Do your research on the Y-Splitters and that's probably your best option.

If it's pure USB I'm sure splitters exist for that too. There's adapters for nearly everything you can find, as long as you do your research.

Solution