[SOLVED] Connecting 2 monitors

Feb 10, 2020
Hi
I have laptop Asus VivoBook A571GD-AL272T.
It has 1HDMI, 1 usb-c 3.0 and usb 3.0.
What is the best way to connect 2 monitors?
Via ucb c 3.0 or usb 3.0 using adapter? What is cost of adapter tgat will work here?

Solution
It really depends on the USB-C port on that laptop. If ASUS enabled DisplayPort over USB-C. Then the USB-C port would be the best option for a second monitor. As you could use a USB-C to HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort cable for a direct connection to your internal graphics.

If they did not enable DisplayPort over USB-C. Then it would not matter if you used a USB-C or USB-A adapter. As both are USB 3.1 Gen 1. This second type of adapter is actually a low end GPU and costs significantly more than a simple cable. These adapters tend to be a bit laggy. USB-A is likely the better option in this scenario as there are simply more adapters on the market. Although you could use a USB-C dock. Just make sure it is a USB-C dock and not a Thunderbolt 3...
It really depends on the USB-C port on that laptop. If ASUS enabled DisplayPort over USB-C. Then the USB-C port would be the best option for a second monitor. As you could use a USB-C to HDMI, DVI or DisplayPort cable for a direct connection to your internal graphics.

If they did not enable DisplayPort over USB-C. Then it would not matter if you used a USB-C or USB-A adapter. As both are USB 3.1 Gen 1. This second type of adapter is actually a low end GPU and costs significantly more than a simple cable. These adapters tend to be a bit laggy. USB-A is likely the better option in this scenario as there are simply more adapters on the market. Although you could use a USB-C dock. Just make sure it is a USB-C dock and not a Thunderbolt 3 dock.

Unfortunately with the manual for the A571GD I found. It makes no mention I could find as to whether or not the USB-C port supports DisplayPort.

I'd suggest contacting technical support on the ASUS website for your laptop. To determine if the USB-C port supports DisplayPort. Also if your laptop supports dual external monitors. It should as the integrated and discrete graphics should be able to support three displays (1 internal + 2 external). It's just a matter of whether or not ASUS implemented that support.

ASUS website (tech chat should show up as a blue bubble): https://www.asus.com/th/Laptops/A571GT/

Edit: Just to be clear. Use the HDMI port for one monitor. It's just a question of the second monitor as to what options are available.

Reactions: roytaipan
Solution
velocityg4
USB C here doesnt support Display Port.
So i think i need to buy USB adapter. Price range 20-30$ us fine?

I don't know what is available in your market. Get whatever has good reviews and is at least USB 3.0 not 2.0. They run about $50 here. The monitor using this connection will only be good for office type work. Videos might work but may look horrible. You'll want to leave gaming to the monitor connected via the laptops HDMI port.

TRENDING THREADS