connecting 2 new extention cords

askingstuff712

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016
hey, can i buy a extention cord at the store thats a hdmi to hdmi cord to make my "time warner cable Tv box's" cord longer? the 1 cord thats already there goes from the tv to the cable box.

and the 2nd cord is for my tv to have power from the power strip.

is this all ok? im sure in houses today if there is gonna be an overload then the fuse just blows and the circuit breaker has to be flipped off then on again. right?

Solution
That sounds like a light duty cord. Mostly for lets say a lamp or some other low powered lighting(I am picturing what many use for holiday lighting).

With just a TV(as long as it does not need the ground) you may be fine, but if you wanted to start adding things it could be a bad idea.

You may want to go with something a bit bigger(I have a 14 gauge appliance extensions for when I need to power something that may require more current.). If going longer distances even larger wire would be used. My wire size only applies to 110/120 volt countries. 240v uses smaller wire because the same wattage can pass with less current(amps)
What exactly are you doing? moving a TV across the room or something?

HDMI cables have a max length(this depends on the quality of the cable). If you do not exceed that you are fine.

Power cables have a current rating. Do not go too long or use a cable too small and you are fine(if you are going VERY long, you should use larger cables than needed to avoid voltage drop.).

TV's are not exactly power hogs(even more so with most flat screens) like lets say a heater.

askingstuff712

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

i was gonna try to use my tv on my bed since i already have a wireless mouse and wireless keytboard. and i have a 15 foot cord that lets me see my desktop pc stuff on my tv. so i was gonna move my tv, kb and mouse to the metal shelf at the end (or whatever side) of my bed. my room is only 11 foot by 7 feet.

i have a white extention cord in the power strip. i can always unplug that and use it. i just want to check here if its gonna be ok to use that. its a white one thats the flat version. and it has the old 2 prong holes. on 1 end there are 2 or 3 plugs. and on the other end is 1 plug hole.

That sounds like a light duty cord. Mostly for lets say a lamp or some other low powered lighting(I am picturing what many use for holiday lighting).

With just a TV(as long as it does not need the ground) you may be fine, but if you wanted to start adding things it could be a bad idea.

You may want to go with something a bit bigger(I have a 14 gauge appliance extensions for when I need to power something that may require more current.). If going longer distances even larger wire would be used. My wire size only applies to 110/120 volt countries. 240v uses smaller wire because the same wattage can pass with less current(amps)

Solution

askingstuff712

Reputable
Feb 7, 2016

yeah. well i dont know 1 thing about that cord stuff for watts and etc. so i was just going to buy a cord at the local store thats for what it says its for. i think ill get it.