Connecting 2 or 3 4-Pin case fans to 1 3-pin header

Sebastian_52

Prominent
Feb 26, 2017
Hello everyone. I´m building a PC with some old pc parts. I have a ECS-B75H2-M4 Motherboard, which i´m going to allocate inside a Riotoro CR500 case. My old motherboard haves only 1 Sys_fan header to install case fans, which only haves 3 pins. My mobo haves the option (as it´s stated on their manual) to regulate a 3-pin fan speed by changing the fan voltage and this way, the motherboard can get to regulate the fan speed. Then, i need to connect 3 (or 2) of the 4-pin case fans (which are preinstalled on the case) to the only 3-pin sys_fan header, but i want to keep the capability of my mobo to regulate the fan speed by voltage.

How can i achieve this? I´m considering the option of connect the 4-pin fans to this 4-pin hub (https://www.amazon.com/Deepcool-Fan-Hub-Controls-PC/dp/B008YD7B0M?tag=googinhydr18418-21), and then connect the 4-pin input header of the hub to the only 3-pin header of the mobo, but i´m not sure if this way, the 2 or 3 fans that i´m going to connect will be still be able to have their speed regulated by changing the fan voltage at the BIOS settings of the mobo.

Also my case doesn´t feature a slot in which i could install a fan controller. Any other suggestions will be aprecciated. Thanks.

Solution
Well, the Deepcool fan splitter can do what you want but don't connect more than 2 fans to it despite it having 4 fan slots.

Reason for that is because MoBo fan headers are rated for 1A at 12V and common fan is 0.3A at 12V. If you go over the amperage limit of the MoBo fan header then you will fry the fan header on MoBo and you can damage your MoBo even further, up to the point where entire Mobo is dead.

Though, there are internal fan controllers as well, like NZXT Grid+ v3 and Corsair Commander Pro which enable you to control each connected fan individually from the dedicated software they use.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, the Deepcool fan splitter can do what you want but don't connect more than 2 fans to it despite it having 4 fan slots.

Reason for that is because MoBo fan headers are rated for 1A at 12V and common fan is 0.3A at 12V. If you go over the amperage limit of the MoBo fan header then you will fry the fan header on MoBo and you can damage your MoBo even further, up to the point where entire Mobo is dead.

Though, there are internal fan controllers as well, like NZXT Grid+ v3 and Corsair Commander Pro which enable you to control each connected fan individually from the dedicated software they use.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS