connecting 2 synology rt2600ac routers to expand coverage

Apr 20, 2018
I have a synology rt2600ac as my main router right now and that covers about 70 percent of what i need it to. I have a linksys WRT1900AC as a wireless AP set up right now, but it has never worked correctly. ( It used to be my main router before i got annoyed enough to change to the synology) So that brings me to wanting to get another synology rt2600ac and replace the linksys. I have currently ran a cat 6 cable, but also need to incorporate a switch between the two of them, i have too many things to connect on my main router and the 2 router is on the other side of the house.

Am i just going to set the 2nd synology up in AP mode with it wired to the first router and be good with it? I don't want the wireless AP cutting throughput in half, i have a couple cameras that will be connecting through it.

Solution
If you have an ethernet cable back to your primary router you should just setup whatever device in AP mode. If you already intend to add a switch, and you don't need the ports from the second router, then why not get a purpose built access point? Get a Ubiquiti AP.

If the Synology has an AP mode in the firmware, then you should be able to put a static IP on the device and toggle to AP mode.

kanewolf

Titan
If you have an ethernet cable back to your primary router you should just setup whatever device in AP mode. If you already intend to add a switch, and you don't need the ports from the second router, then why not get a purpose built access point? Get a Ubiquiti AP.

If the Synology has an AP mode in the firmware, then you should be able to put a static IP on the device and toggle to AP mode.

Solution