Question Connecting 2nd computer to the internet via usb to ethernet adapter?

formula1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
hi guys,
as the title suggests, i'm trying to connect a 2nd computer to the internet (and also get file sharing between the 2 computers), i have only one ethernet cable from the router that goes into my room and into my main computer, i also don't have another ethernet connection in my main computer to connect directly to the 2nd computer.

will a usb to ethernet adapter work in this situation? i want to connect the usb side to main computer and the ethernet side to the 2nd computer in order to get internet to the 2nd computer and file sharing between the 2 computers?

this is the adapter i want buy: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006345002981.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.cafb38daGvMhsj&mp=1

thanks in advance

Maybe it is hard to say how that device really works. You take a risk buying stuff on aliexpress.

It is technically possible to buy a USB ethernet adapter and then share the internet connection. Lots of messy software options that can be hard to get setup.

Why not just buy a 5 port gigabit switch. You should be able to get it for about the same price as the device you list. No strange software setting on your main pc. You just plug the wall jack and the 2 pc into the switch.

Reactions: geofelt

formula1

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2014
thanks,
i might do that, i have an old router maybe I'll turn it into a switch, another solution will be to get a pci ethernet card and connect directly between the 2 computers

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Most home router has 4 LAN ports and almost every PC already has a ethernet port, just buy a ethernet cable and connect 2nd PC and router and you are done. If your 2nd PC really doesn't have ethernet port, then buy an ethernet PCIe card.

If you don't want another cable directly from router to 2nd PC, then as mentioned above, just buy a cheap switch and two cables and plug all cables into that switch.

Last edited: