[SOLVED] connecting 2nd gpu

Oct 9, 2021
Hi ,
My question is i wanted to connect 2nd gpu to my psu but my psu only has 1 -8 pin slot left to connect. the reason is my cpu is using 2 slots ( 1 cpu slot and 1 -vga slot) for power. Are there any workaround or daisy chain that you guys can suggest me to or splitter cable. I can see that this psu should support dual gpu but I am unable to connect only cause the cpu is using the vga slot.

Any help or suggestion would be appreciated .

My config:
amd r7 5800x cpu
msi tomohawk x570- mobo
gpu xfx 6700xt
gpu xfx r9 390
psu Deepcool DQ 850M v2

Solution
my cpu is using 2 slots ( 1 cpu slot and 1 -vga slot) for power
you should not be using the PSU VGA cable for CPU power.
these are not the same cables and do not provide the same amount of power.

unless you are doing some VERY serious overclocking with insane voltages then you do not need to use two CPU power cables.

and why would you want to connect an old R9 and an RX 6000?
my cpu is using 2 slots ( 1 cpu slot and 1 -vga slot) for power

unless you are doing some VERY serious overclocking with insane voltages then you do not need to use two CPU power cables.

Reactions: Anonymous.1
Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
JBG, the source of the confusion here is from the OP's explanation, which is a bit meandering. This unit, on the PSU side, has a couple "flex" ports that allow either CPU or PCIE cables to be plugged in as there's an identical pinout on that side.

17-328-017-V11.jpg

I'm not sure that I'd want to power two GPUs on this PSU. It's better than most Deepcool-sold units, but not one I'd characterize as high-end. I'd consider a top-tier PSU a prerequisite for running two GPUs such as this. Basically, CWT started with the GPU platform and threw in a whole lot of cheaper parts to make the GPX platform (which Corsair doesn't use for this reason, as JonnyGuru I believe has mentioned before). Cheap FETs, 85-degree bulk capacitor, mediocre ChengX capacitors, issues with OCP on the minor rails.

Reactions: Anonymous.1
Oct 9, 2021

Thanks for your reply, till now I was wondering it was mandatory to connect 2 cpu cables to the mobo to power cpu, now it was clear that unless extreme overlooking, its not mandatory. I don't think I need to overlook my cpu even in future, my old rig motherboard has a cpu bent problem so my Gpu is sitting idle so just wanted to connect that to my new build.

Oct 9, 2021
JBG, the source of the confusion here is from the OP's explanation, which is a bit meandering. This unit, on the PSU side, has a couple "flex" ports that allow either CPU or PCIE cables to be plugged in as there's an identical pinout on that side.

17-328-017-V11.jpg

I'm not sure that I'd want to power two GPUs on this PSU. It's better than most Deepcool-sold units, but not one I'd characterize as high-end. I'd consider a top-tier PSU a prerequisite for running two GPUs such as this. Basically, CWT started with the GPU platform and threw in a whole lot of cheaper parts to make the GPX platform (which Corsair doesn't use for this reason, as JonnyGuru I believe has mentioned before). Cheap FETs, 85-degree bulk capacitor, mediocre ChengX capacitors, issues with OCP on the minor rails.
Probably its best for me to go for corsair next time with 1000w ,thanks for your time!!

TRENDING THREADS