[SOLVED] Connecting 2nd monitor (hdmi) disconnects primary monitor (DP)

May 7, 2021
just bought a new 240hz monitor, down grading my old 144hz to be my 2nd monitor, both come with a DP but theres only one DP port on my PC so i used a hdmi i had spare to connect the 2nd one, but as soon as i plug it in my primary monitor with the DP turns off, im able to connect it again when i unplug the hdmi, not sure whats causing this (the random hdmi wire i had is bad? idek)

edit: i was googling about adapters but they are limited to 60hz, wanted my 2nd at 144hz, hopefully i can still do this?

Solution
im guessing this only gives me the drop down option when 2 monitors are connected and it detects both? but i cant tell if it does or not because it turns off my monitor when i plug it in, the extend option isnt there for me right now :/

Connect and power both monitors. Go into your settings while connected to the one that will power on, display settings, resolution (under advanced) and select the lowest common resolution they can do, like 1080/60 for example. Go to the desktop and hit the Windows key and P at the same time. Duplicate/Extend/Second should show something on the display that isn't showing now.

If not, with them connected you might can check in Device Manager to see if you have both showing.
Could be a driver...
May 7, 2021
Check Windows Display Settings (right click on your desktop). You need to set it to "Extend Desktop" to display on both monitors.
im guessing this only gives me the drop down option when 2 monitors are connected and it detects both? but i cant tell if it does or not because it turns off my monitor when i plug it in, the extend option isnt there for me right now :/

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

Connect and power both monitors. Go into your settings while connected to the one that will power on, display settings, resolution (under advanced) and select the lowest common resolution they can do, like 1080/60 for example. Go to the desktop and hit the Windows key and P at the same time. Duplicate/Extend/Second should show something on the display that isn't showing now.

If not, with them connected you might can check in Device Manager to see if you have both showing.
Could be a driver issue if not?

Solution