Connecting 2nd router to main modem/router to extend network

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
Ok hope I can explain this well enough. We have a DSL connection with a modem that is also a router. We use that router for the wireless network in our house. There is a laptop and printer that connects to that mode/router wireless and 2 desktops that are hardwired to the modem.

Now here is where I get really confused. We have another building that is about 200ft away from the house. We ran ethernet cable from the modem in the house to the building 200ft away. Internet works fine when connected to that cable. What I want is to have wireless in that building.

Now is my best bet hooking up a separate router in that building? Would that router be using the same network inside the house? There will be things that will be hardwired to the 2nd router as well. Would I need to change any settings in the 2nd router? Do I need to set it up as a repeater?

I already bought a router for this, a Linksys wrt3200acm with MU-MIMO that came with an adapter. If needed I can return this. After doing a little reading on MU-MIMO, not sure everything will be able to connect to this router wireless because of the MU-MIMO.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017

I tried changing the lan ip on the 2nd router but it said invalid ip range.

Looking at all these settings are just making me more confused.

USAFRet

Titan

What did you try to change it to?

Go to PC, open a command prompt and type ipconfig
The default gateway address is your router DSL modem address.

Now open a web browser and type that address in it. On most modern DSL modems the password for this page is on a sticker on the bottom of the router.
Now that you are logged in, go to lan settings or advanced settings or something similar and look for DHCP.
If your DHCP range starts at .2 then change it so it starts at .100 and goes to .254. After you do this you will need to reboot the router and reboot every device connected to it so it can get a new IP address.

Now you can plug a computer into your linksys router (dont connect it to DSL router yet) and set it to an access point.
For linksys the router gui is likely on 192.168.1.1.
Now log into the router, go to dhcp settings and dissable dhcp.
Now set the lan IP/Subnet/Gatway as follows:
Lan: the first 3 numbers of your router IP, and make the 4th one .2 (so if DLS router is 192.168.0.1 then make linksys 192.168.0.2)
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: set this to the DSL routers address
If there is entry for DNS then also set this to DSL router's address

Now you can save and reboot linksys, then connect cable from DSL router to a LAN port on the linksys router.

Weathered

Honorable
Aug 2, 2017
I seem to have this working, not sure it is best way but working.

On the 2nd router, I have the connection type set to bridge mode. With the 2nd router placed in the building and hooked up to the modem in the house, I am able to connect both wireless and wired to the 2nd router inside that building.