Question connecting 3.5 inch HDD to windows 10 laptop via SATA cable

Nov 4, 2020
6100qXP1kGL._SL1209_.jpg
Hello friends
I recently bought SATA to USB 3.0 Cable with a power adapter. when I connect 2.5 inch HDD it gets detected but the same does not happen with 3.5 inch HDD.
I connect 12 volts, 2-ampere power adapter given with SATA cable for connecting 3.5 inch HDD.
My laptop is up to date, all ports are working. I couldn't see my hard drive in the disk management section. HDD is seagate 2TB 7200 rpm

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2020
does it tick and tick and tick then shut down? Sounds like a bad drive to me. Do you have an actual desktop that you can at least plug power into and see if it fires up with
\out ticking?
it doesn't shut down. tick-tick sound isn't that loud. Don't have a desktop. I will let you know when I connect it to friends desktop pc.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
It is an old drive. It was previously used with windows 7. I hear spinning with tik-tik noise when connected to the power supply
If you attach it, I know that you cannot see it in disk management. Can you see it when attached if you open an elevated command prompt and type: diskpart <enter> and then list disk <enter>?

Often a continuous tik-tik noise is the heads stuck to the platter.

Reactions: mahesh bhor
Nov 4, 2020
I connected the 3.5 HDD to my friend's desktop computer. it is working fine.
I also noticed there isn't any ticking noise and also get the feeling of something spinning inside HDD when connected to the desktop computer.
but when I connect HDD to my laptop using SATA to USB converter cable with 12-volt power supply I can't feel the spinning. also, tick-tick noise can be heard.
HDD is also not showing in the "diskpart " command prompt .

Last edited:
I connected the 3.5 HDD to my friend's desktop computer. it is working fine.
I also noticed there isn't any ticking noise and also get the feeling of something spinning inside HDD when connected to the desktop computer.
but when I connect HDD to my laptop using SATA to USB converter cable with 12-volt power supply I can't feel the spinning. also, tick-tick noise can be heard.
HDD is also not showing in the "diskpart " command prompt .

If it works in a system but not with this adapter, I'd say the adapter is bad and not supplying enough power to it. The noise that sounds like a bad drive can be from it not getting enough power to run.

Reactions: mahesh bhor
Nov 4, 2020
Last edited: