Connecting 5.1 speakers properly?!?

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Hi guys,

First of all ASUS SUPPORT SUCKS!!! AGRRRRR

Ok, now that I established that, probably already very well known fact (And am feeling better couse of it), I have a simple question.

I just ordered ALTEC LANSING 251 5.1 speakers at Newegg (Only 34$, get them while they last!) to go with my ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB APU (Nvida Soundstorm, supposedly great 6Ch APU), and have a question about how to connect them once they arrive.

Reading from the brief AL manual I should insert the green, black, and yellow input plugs into the soundcards green, black and yellow outputs.

2-page manual
http://www.alteclansing.com/downloads/251 Manual.pdf

Quick-Connect card
http://www.alteclansing.com/downloads/251 QCC.pdf

My problem is though that the color of my 6 MB outputs is very different and I don't know if I should use the common Line in, Line out and Mic outputs; the S/PIDF (not 100% sure what that is), Surround L/R and Center/LFE outputs, or the combination of those 2 solutions.

I am asking because 1 guy at newegg who bought the regular A7n8X mobo complained that since he is missing the S/Pidf + L/R + Center/LFE outputs he won't be able take full advantage of the great Nvidia APU. Does that mean that both solution work, but that using the Surround L/R and Center/LFE outputs will provide better sound, or what the hell are Surround L/R and Center/LFE outputs for (as oposed Line in, Line out, Micro jacks which also function as Bass/Center, Front Speaker out and rear speaker out)!

Thanks

Ps. Asus MB picture link:
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.asp?style=album

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
your general ac'97/soundstorm drivers comes with a systray manager called soundmanager or alike. There you can choose what kind of speakersetup you would like and it also displays pictures of how the connectors change (ie. mic/rear out). If that is not the case, I am certain there is a speaker-test function within the sound-software.

take a chill.. it is dead easy! you can ALWAYS hear where what is supposed to be if you launch an EAX title

viel glück!

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/800 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

DrAmar

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Thanks mopeygoth,

but it is still killing me to know what S/PDIF, Surround L/R audio jack and Center/LFE are for.

I now believe they may have something to do with dolby digital or similar, but not sure.

Danke troztdem :)

I don't even believe in JEBUS!
Homer, you are on the flight to a remote island where you will be doing some missionary work.
SAVE ME JEBUS!!!!!!

mopeygoth

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
np dude,

S/PDIF: single connection fibre/optical/coxial/digi-jack to a digital inputsource for decoding/playback
Surround L/R: would be the rear speakers
Center/LFE: center channel and subwoofer

I know it sounds cheesy, but check your manual; it's all in there, i'm sure

Stukas! ;)

Abit IS7 - P4E3.0@3.45- i865PE - 1024mb dual ddr400 - Leadtek 6800 128mb@380/800 - 600W dualfan(front/rear) PowerTek Psu - maxtor 4K080H4 & 6Y120P0 - samsung sm-352b

Feb 27, 2019
;2004 the last entry in this forum, I've got a question. The user manual and quick start card for the AL 251 are no longer available for download of viewing, does anyone have the Pin-Outs for the 3mm plugs? I'm having a bit of a time trying to sort the correct one's out for the new architecture. Changing the colors of the sockets is not funny people... seriously! LOL