[SOLVED] Connecting 5v led strip to Asus Aura

FastGamingYT

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
I have a 5v led strip but I'm quite unsure how I could connect it to my motherboard as it seems to be 12v. The motherboard is an Asus prime b450-plus. Could something bad happen if I do connect it? Or is there a way to change the voltage?

Solution
DC5V 0.5A

Based on that, i'd say this LED strip isn't meant for PC use.

No-name Chinese (or the like) LED strips, powered directly from the mains, are usually 5V ones, without any addressable features. Though, most of the times, they do come with their own dedicated controller unit. E.g this thing:

LED-Strip-Light-RGB-5050-SMD-2835-Flexible-Ribbon-fita-led-light-strip-RGB-5M-10M-600x600.jpg

And without a controller that fits for that LED strip, it's essentially useless.

Btw, i have one of those as room illumination. Basically in place of a desk lamp.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Sadly, the technologies are different between the two and you can't combine them.

On the regular +12V RGB header (4-pin), all LEDs of a primary color (R, G, B) are chained together and act simultaneously depending on the input signal. This makes individual LED addressing impossible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - G (green color)
pin #3 - R (red color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

On the +5V RGB header (3-pin), there is LED driver control for each RGB LED package that translates the serial information coming in through the data pin into a specific output for that LED package it is attached to. That method makes single LED addressing possible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - data
pin #3 - empty (no pin)
pin #4 - ground

Could something bad happen if I do connect it?

Plugging the 3-pin RGB connector to the 4-pin RGB header fries the LEDs since you'd be feeding more than twice the voltage to them (12V vs 5V). And even if the addressable LEDs somehow survive the initial power up, there's no data pin in the 4-pin RGB header to control the LEDs.

FastGamingYT

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Sadly, the technologies are different between the two and you can't combine them.

On the regular +12V RGB header (4-pin), all LEDs of a primary color (R, G, B) are chained together and act simultaneously depending on the input signal. This makes individual LED addressing impossible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +12V
pin #2 - G (green color)
pin #3 - R (red color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

On the +5V RGB header (3-pin), there is LED driver control for each RGB LED package that translates the serial information coming in through the data pin into a specific output for that LED package it is attached to. That method makes single LED addressing possible.

Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - data
pin #3 - empty (no pin)
pin #4 - ground

Plugging the 3-pin RGB connector to the 4-pin RGB header fries the LEDs since you'd be feeding more than twice the voltage to them (12V vs 5V). And even if the addressable LEDs somehow survive the initial power up, there's no data pin in the 4-pin RGB header to control the LEDs.
Well Its a bit weirder in my case as its a
Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - R (red color)
pin #3 - G (green color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

FastGamingYT

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
If you want someone here to have the idea, then it would greatly assist things if you actually gave us information about the LED strip. All we know is that you have some LED strip.
Yes sorry about that, this is the config that the led strip has:
Pinout:
pin #1 - +5V
pin #2 - R (red color)
pin #3 - G (green color)
pin #4 - B (blue color)

FastGamingYT

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Yeah, I caught that, but what's the brand/model, where did you get it?
It's a pretty much no name strip and I got it as a random small gift and I thought I could maybe find a use for it. It barely says anything about it other than that and it doesn't even really have any english in the manual.

It only says

IAN: MK-A05-RGB-24-AAxBB-Z-N

DC5V 0.5A
Max. 2.5W, RGB

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
DC5V 0.5A

No-name Chinese (or the like) LED strips, powered directly from the mains, are usually 5V ones, without any addressable features. Though, most of the times, they do come with their own dedicated controller unit. E.g this thing:

LED-Strip-Light-RGB-5050-SMD-2835-Flexible-Ribbon-fita-led-light-strip-RGB-5M-10M-600x600.jpg

And without a controller that fits for that LED strip, it's essentially useless.

Btw, i have one of those as room illumination. Basically in place of a desk lamp.

Solution

FastGamingYT

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017

Thanks a lot for that. I was just carious if there was even any other use for them or anything

Reactions: Aeacus