Question Connecting 6 pin on an 8 pin GPU

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Hi everyone. I just need help with my gpu or psu, i don't know. Earlier i was playing pubg and all of a sudden my pc shut down i tried opening the game 3 times but my pc keeps on shutting down so i open my pc case remove the gpu check the 2+6 pin connector and the last hole in the 6 pin has melted or burned. But my psu has another 6 pin connector although it's not the same size as the 6 pin with 2 pin i have been using on my gpu until now. Now my question is can i use only the 6 pin connector for my rx 580? even though it has 8 pin connector?

What model PSU are you using.

No you can not use single 6pin connector instead of required 8pin connector. That is fire hazard.
Generally, if PSU doesn't have appropriate connections, it is not capable of powering your hardware.

To get 8pin PCIE connector, one can convert 2x 6pin connectors into 1x 8pin connector. But again - generally this is not recommended.

71eCI8RgzwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-6-Pin-Female-8-Pin-Cable/dp/B00M49SELW

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
What model PSU are you using.

No you can not use single 6pin connector instead of required 8pin connector. That is fire hazard.
Generally, if PSU doesn't have appropriate connections, it is not capable of powering your hardware.

To get 8pin PCIE connector, one can convert 2x 6pin connectors into 1x 8pin connector. But again - generally this is not recommended.

71eCI8RgzwL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-6-Pin-Female-8-Pin-Cable/dp/B00M49SELW
I don't exactly know what model or brand my psu is but it has the name Yido q-star on the side. It's a korean brand psu i think. But it is 600w true rated. I have been using it for a few years now. The 2 pin on this psu with the 6 pin is separated so i don't know how to plug it in my gpu since this other 6 pin connected has a different size or shape on its side. But i tried turning my pc on with the gpu only connected with the 6 pin. I'm also monitoring the temp of my gpu and tried it for gaming. But i'm scared because i don't know what will happen to my system if i keep this on. Plus we're on lockdown so things are hard to buy at the moment.

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
I think you should replace the PSU since the wires have melted in it and if rx 580 needs 8 pin to power it up then needs to be an 8 pin but also do think its risky using the psu again!
I'm not sure if it's exactly the wire of the 6 pin has burned or just the last hole of 6 pin. Because i tried turning on my pc
Can you show photo of PSU label?
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

6pin+2pin gets combined together to form 8pin connector.

PCIE-862FF-XX-PCI-Express-8p-Female-to-6p-Female-2p-Female-Power-Adapter-Cable-004.jpg
View: https://imgur.com/a/gWIGlEh

Here it is.

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
There's only one way 2pin can be combined with 6pin to form 8pin connector.
Try it. If it doesn't feel right, then try connecting it the other way.
Yeah that's what i'm trying to do now combining this 2 pin with the other 6 pin connector. It's just difficult because when i'm plugging the 2 plus 6 pin it doen't fit in gpu pin connector

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
There's only one way 2pin can be combined with 6pin to form 8pin connector.
Try it. If it doesn't feel right, then try connecting it the other way.

Also - wrong way will not fit into 8pin socket.
I don't think this 2 pin fits with the other 6 pin because it can't be connected to the gpu. But when i try to open my pc my gpu still works with heavy loading games but produces less heat and the voltage on msi afterburnes can't be unlocked now. What do you think?

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador

Yido Q-Star? Can't say I have ever heard of it. If one of the holes of the 6-pin portion burned, I would guess because a wire got too hot. That makes me question whether that wire was up to carrying the load it's supposed to carry.

I would very strongly suggest getting another power supply, a KNOWN high-quality model. The first link in my sig is a MUST READ for that.

Reactions: paulakeshowww

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
Yido Q-Star? Can't say I have ever heard of it. If one of the holes of the 6-pin portion burned, I would guess because a wire got too hot. That makes me question whether that wire was up to carrying the load it's supposed to carry.

I would very strongly suggest getting another power supply, a KNOWN high-quality model. The first link in my sig is a MUST READ for that.
I'll definitely get another power supply. And what watts do you suggest i get? I'm using my pc now but my gpu is only connected with the 6 pin.

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018
I'd have to see the full specs of your PC to be sure, but honestly, of the high quality units, 550W would be fine.

Also, don't continue to use your PC at all like that - it's asking for trouble.
it's just an entry level set up. ryzen 1300x, 16ram, rx 580, 1 ssd, 2 hdd. And 2 system fans which i now run at 100%.

paulakeshowww

Reputable
May 11, 2018

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Is 750 watts psu ok for my system?
More than you need - with a good quality unit, even 550W should be plenty.

If going with Seasonic, I'd say go with a Seasonic Focus. You could go with Seasonic Prime, and they're great units, but more expensive. The Focus is a high quality unit in its own right.

If going with Corsair, one of the following models:
  • CX (make sure CX is in black, NOT green, it should be the 2017 revision, and they come with a 5 year warranty. A shorter warranty probably means it's the older version). The CX is a budget model, but reasonably decent.
  • TX/TXm
  • RM/RMx

There are other models (HX/HXi, and AX/AXi), but they're ultra-high end, and ultra pricey.

Reactions: paulakeshowww

TRENDING THREADS