[SOLVED] Connecting 60hz Laptop to a 144Hz Monitor

Oct 22, 2018
Laptop: https://www.asus.com/in/Laptops/ROG-GL502VS/

I have a laptop with a gtx1070 in it. I have the 4k 60hz version and wish to buy an external 144hz 1090p monitor to game with in my free time.
Looking into the Asus vg248qe
I read somewhere online that the external monitor will be capped to 60hz as well even if i use dvi or display port..even if my laptop screen is turned off.
Just want to know if its true and if so, is there any other way to use a 144hz monitor on my laptop?
thanks

Solution
The laptop screen has no effect on other monitors. The laptop screen is just a monitor plugged into the computer portion of your laptop. An external monitor will operate completely independently. You do not need a "144 Hz laptop" (laptop with a 144 Hz built-in display) to attach a 144 Hz monitor, it will work on any laptop as long as it has the proper video connections available.

On a side note, the VG248QE is one of the first 144 Hz monitors ever released, it is ancient and is a terrible value. The ViewSonic XG2401/XG2402 is a much better choice.
The laptop screen has no effect on other monitors. The laptop screen is just a monitor plugged into the computer portion of your laptop. An external monitor will operate completely independently. You do not need a "144 Hz laptop" (laptop with a 144 Hz built-in display) to attach a 144 Hz monitor, it will work on any laptop as long as it has the proper video connections available.

On a side note, the VG248QE is one of the first 144 Hz monitors ever released, it is ancient and is a terrible value. The ViewSonic XG2401/XG2402 is a much better choice.

Solution