Connecting 8 pin to 16 pin

Button Mash

Reputable
May 14, 2015
So i just bought a GIGABYTE GTX 1060 WF2 OC 6GB and it has a 16 pin connector, i realized that my power supply haves a 8 pin, does it matter if i use the 8 pin on the 16 pin?
Or do i have to buy a new power supply that has a 16 pin.

Solution
Yes.
It has all the protections built in, 80+ certification and is capable of delivering 744W over +12V rail.
One minus though - capacitors are rated for 85C only (not standard 105C).

juusos

Reputable
May 21, 2015
i have good news for you! pcie x16 is the type of slot on the motherboard. this refers to the golden pins on the gpu which go into the motherboard (most of the time the largest/topmost/most colourful pci slot on the motherboard. the gpu needs 1 6-pin external pcie power cable to power up!

juusos

Reputable
May 21, 2015
pciex16 is nothing you have to worry about. just place the gpu into the motherboard (i assume you know how) and the connect 6-pin power from the psu to the gpu (if you have 8 pin you can unhook the 2 side pins and bend the maside a little so they don't obstruct the fans

As mentioned above, the card needs a single 6-pin PCI-E power connector. In a typical system, a decent 360W power supply is enough. Unfortunately some power supplies are not decent, especially the ones that come with cheap cases or OEM systems. You should have a +12V rating of at least 24A. Do you know your power supply model?

No - it needs 6pin PCIE power connector (not 8pin)
What's your PSU model name?
c%20(2).jpg

20160721165407_big.png

There are no issues with this motherboard and your new GPU.
As mentioned above, the power supply is not good quality. Any reasonable design would have active PFC and an 80 plus rating. The link you gave does not list the +12V rail rating. The figure is shown in the PSU image, but I can't read it.

Typical CPUs for this motherboard are have a TDP of 84W. With this CPU, typical components and the GeForce 1060 you need a power supply rated at least 26A on the +12V rail. Check your power supply label to see if the rating on the +12V rail is at least 26A or 312W. If it is, it will probably be ok. Even if it is though, a decent power supply would be a good investment.

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

he is trying to find out if its 12v rail has decent power output, he already knows it has one

if its a crap psu it goes boom and may take your new gpu with it

Button Mash

Reputable
May 14, 2015

Dangit. fine. recommend me a cheap one please