[SOLVED] Connecting a 4 pin female EXT FAN to 5 pin male on motherboard

Sep 18, 2019
Hello there,

I am now on my second build and currently running into some issues connecting the peripherals.
I am using the tower and fans from my previous build (as they have some fancy LED), however, have a hard time connecting them to the new mainboard (ASUS Maximus XI Hero), as the case fan control comes with a 4pin female, whereas the mainboard only has 5pin EXT Fan male.

It's possible to put the 4pin female on the 5pin male, while leaving one pin blank, but fans won't run and the software controlling the LED won't recognize them.

I found an adapter online, does anyone know if this will work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocaton-Female-Socket-Adapter-Cooling/dp/B073XJV5L9

Any help is much appreciated.

Netreo

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
Hi! If I understand right, you are trying to connect chassis fans to a fan controller which should connect to a power supply, right?
Do you have a picture or a link to your fan controller?

Netreo

Reputable
Dec 22, 2016
So I checked that fan controller. And like kerberos_20 said, you need to connect power supply SATA connector to your controller. Then you will have a USB header on controller which goes to USB header on motherboard. After that you will have 4 inputs left for your chassis fans. And through software you will be able to control them. Unless it's a different controller.