Connecting a 4 to 6 pin adapter with a 6 to 8 pin adapter!

transmutation-sr

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
Hello,

I just bought an evga gtx 1060 3gb SSC version and it requires an 8 pin connector while my PSU only has 1x6 pin connector.

Now gtx 1060 came with a 6 to 8 pin adapter. Can I use 1x6 pin connector from my PSU and create another 6 pin connector by using 4 to 6 pin adapter? I think this is called adapter to adapter connection (daisy-chaining) and evga FAQ section strictly prohibits this kind of configuration.

Is it still safe to use 4 to 6pin adapter into 6 to 8 pin adapter? I hope I am making sense here.

Thanks.

PSU: Cooler Master RS-500
CPU: i7 (7700) 4ghz
Ram: 16gb
GPU: GtX 1060 3gb SSC

Solution
Try the included adapter.

A 8 pin requirement for a GTX1060 is a bit unusual, and that is why a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter is included.
Your max draw for the card will be 225w.
Your psu should be able to deliver 360w on the 12v rails.
That is sufficient for your 7700 which has a tdp of 65w.

If you have problems or see artifacts, it will be an indication that the psu is not up to delivering advertised power.

bignastyid

Titan
Sounds more like you need a better PSU not an adapter. A 500w psu that only has a single 6-pin pci-e connector is not going to be a true 500w PSU. Being a cooler master I'd guess it is an extreme or an elite which are known to be garbage that can't deliver anything near what they are advertised at.

Try the included adapter.

A 8 pin requirement for a GTX1060 is a bit unusual, and that is why a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter is included.
Your max draw for the card will be 225w.
Your psu should be able to deliver 360w on the 12v rails.
That is sufficient for your 7700 which has a tdp of 65w.

If you have problems or see artifacts, it will be an indication that the psu is not up to delivering advertised power.

Solution

transmutation-sr

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
My gpu came with a 6 to 8 pin adapter that requires 2x6pin connectors like this image below:
VE7tT1b.jpg

My PSU only has 1x6 pin connector so I cannot use this adapter out of box.

I checked the GPU specifications on evga product page and it confirms that this gpu needs a maximum power of 120W at full load.

So should I now use 6 to 8 pin adapter that requires only 1x6pin connector like below image:
9DaqweX.jpg

Or should I use molex to 8 pin adapter just like image below:
t23cxQf.jpg

Which of the above two is a safer/better option?

Thanks a lot for quick response.