Question Connecting a card to 2 TVs and 1 screen: will it work, and what card to get?

Dec 30, 2019
For a new computer I'm about to buy (please assume all other parts are still undecided), I'd like to get an nVidia video card for gaming (Fornite and the latest first-person shooters) and for video playback, all at 4K. I don't plan to overclock it.

I'm looking for some advice about the feasibility of my intended setup, and about which video card to get.

The screens I'd like to connect it to:
Looking at recent nVidia cards, I see most have 1 HDMI output and at least 2 DisplayPort outputs.
My plan is:
  • Connect the card's HDMI to the LG OLED C9 TV's HDMI.
  • Connect one of the card's DisplayPorts to the Dell computer screen's DisplayPort.
  • Connect another of the card's DisplayPorts to the Phillips TV's HDMI, via an DisplayPort->HDMI 1.3 adapter.
Is this a solid plan, will I be able to view / hear stuff on each screen at its respective best settings?
I'd like to have 3 distinct desktops, one on each screen. I hope that's possible software-wise (please let me know, if you know).

I am mainly considering the RTX 2080 Super and the RTX 2080 Ti (other nVidia suggestions are welcome, if you have any).

My plan: Go with the cheaper RTX 2080 Super right now, and wait a year or two and then get some nVidia 30x0 model (which supposedly will allow me to utilize the LG TV's HDMI 2.1 and 4K @ 120fps).

Does the fact that I plan on connecting the video card to 3 screens (one of them 4K, the other two 1080) somehow mean I should get the RTX 2080 Ti?
i.e. will I be straining the RTX 2080 Super?
If it matters, only one of the 3 screens will be utilized at any given moment (I won't play a game and watch a movie at the same time :)).

Thanks a bunch for any info!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS