[SOLVED] Connecting a Cooler Master Universal RBG light bar to the CM MC500M's LED controller?

Ouze

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
I am pretty new to RGB lighting, and am trying to figure some basic stuff out. I have a Cooler Master Mastercase MC500M, which has a built in RBG controller and partition plate. These all have 3 pin plugs.

I also got a Cooler Master Universal RBG light bar. This has a different setup - 4 pin VRGB pins.

is it possible to connect these together with some kind of adapter?

Solution
OK, I figured this out and hate to admit this because it makes me look like a class A moron... but I'm gonna post it anyway because I know this site is highly ranked in search and this might help someone in the future.

It turns out In the box of accessories for the MC500M (screws, cable ties, etc) there are a pair of 3 pin to 4 pin adapters for doing exactly what I was asking. So yes, there is an adapter, and 2 of them came with the case, and if I had looked in the little tin before posting this, I would have known that.
Hi, I have the same light bar but not the same case. I have the Cooler Master H500P Mesh but I would be surprised if it is not a standard 4 Pin RGB connector to the RGB controller.

On page 18 of your case manual it shows you can hook up 4 pin RGB connectors for RGB control labeled as 'D' and a total of up to 3 different RGB devices. Just in case you can download manual from here and check page 18:
https://eu.coolermaster.com/en/case/case-by-motherboard-size/mastercase-mc500m/

So it should be okay to connect the light bar to one of the 2 free slots as the third is being used by the partition plate but make sure it is 4 pin to 4 pin.

Ouze

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
OK, I figured this out and hate to admit this because it makes me look like a class A moron... but I'm gonna post it anyway because I know this site is highly ranked in search and this might help someone in the future.

It turns out In the box of accessories for the MC500M (screws, cable ties, etc) there are a pair of 3 pin to 4 pin adapters for doing exactly what I was asking. So yes, there is an adapter, and 2 of them came with the case, and if I had looked in the little tin before posting this, I would have known that.

Reactions: vMax
Solution

Nothing wrong with making a mistake...I have done so, so many in the years I have built systems....Most importantly you always learn form your mistakes...