[SOLVED] Connecting a crappy PSU to just 1 3.5 inch hdd

ucrsjj

Prominent
Apr 5, 2018
Hello!
My dad's working on security cams and we want a local storage that deletes the last clips after a week or so. so we wont be storing very much. We have a nvr device and i want to connect it to a hdd. the nvr has a sata port. I now have to power the hdd. can i connect a psu, that i removed from a very old pc, to just power the hdd with 12v?
the psu has the usual 12v connectors (sata)

Solution
yes, just do these things:

1 insert a U wire in the main ATX connector connecting the green wire (4th on top) to any black wire (6 on top for example). A fasioned paperclip works perfect, just don't make it hang out and make sure it has good contact. (another Ubend on the ends of the paperclip would ensure a spring like connection. or a wire with the right dimension). This will start the PSU to deliver the voltages.
  1. plug the sata power to hdd and the data sata from nvr to hdd (nvr should be off, keep it off)
  2. Plug the PSU (with the main psu switch off)
  3. start the psu by the switch (now the psu should be running and powering the hdd)
  4. start the nvr.
Remember when you want to stop do the reverse. stop the nvr, then power...

Azzyasi

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
yes, just do these things:

1 insert a U wire in the main ATX connector connecting the green wire (4th on top) to any black wire (6 on top for example). A fasioned paperclip works perfect, just don't make it hang out and make sure it has good contact. (another Ubend on the ends of the paperclip would ensure a spring like connection. or a wire with the right dimension). This will start the PSU to deliver the voltages.
  1. plug the sata power to hdd and the data sata from nvr to hdd (nvr should be off, keep it off)
  2. Plug the PSU (with the main psu switch off)
  3. start the psu by the switch (now the psu should be running and powering the hdd)
  4. start the nvr.
Remember when you want to stop do the reverse. stop the nvr, then power off the psu by the main switch

But first, dosen't the nvr has a power connector as well?

Solution