[SOLVED] connecting a cx650f rgb power supply to my pc

Aug 26, 2021
I am trying to connect my new power supply to the pc. I have not idea what I'm doing. I connected all cables that came to the power supply to the power supply and now I'm trying to make it work. I just need to be sure the power supply is working because I have 3 days to return it in case it doesn't.

I connected the 24 pin to the motherboard, I connected the cable that goes to the hdd hard drive. I don't find any cable that goes into the data port in the power supply. I plugged to the 110V but nothing happens. I turned the switch on, press the pc power and nothing happens.
How can I make sure the power supply works?

Solution
the "data" cable for the hhd is nowhere to be seen.
these wouldn't be included with the power supply but would be in the motherboard accessories pack.
your previous cable should still be in place though if all you've done is replace the PSU.
this smaller data cable just connects directly from the motherboard SATA port to the drive.
looks like this:
12-119-270-03.jpg

i've also plugged in 1 of 3 cables that are supposed to plug into my harddrive.
for any modern SATA drive there should only be two cables;
1x SATA power from the PSU, 1x SATA data from the motherboard.
what is the 3rd cable?
a cable on which has "CPU" written on the side of the plug
and this...
Aug 26, 2021
you will need to list your complete system specifications for anyone to know if you've got things setup correctly and they are compatible.

i don't see you mention connecting any CPU power cable.
check if this is needed.
My complete pc specs are... 16 gb of ram, z490 motherboard with a 1050 ti and an intel core i5, all in a standard MSI system case. I've Plugged in my 24 pin PSU-to-motherboard cable, and a cable on which has "CPU" written on the side of the plug if that answers the question/comment "i don't see you mention connecting any CPU power cable". i've also plugged in 1 of 3 cables that are supposed to plug into my harddrive. the "data" cable for the hhd is nowhere to be seen. I've also plugged in my RGB fan hub to my PSU but thats not relevent to the main cables that i don't know where to plug in.

Aug 26, 2021
My complete pc specs are... 16 gb of ram, z490 motherboard with a 1050 ti and an intel core i5, all in a standard MSI system case. I've Plugged in my 24 pin PSU-to-motherboard cable, and a cable on which has "CPU" written on the side of the plug if that answers the question/comment "i don't see you mention connecting any CPU power cable". i've also plugged in 1 of 3 cables that are supposed to plug into my harddrive. the "data" cable for the hhd is nowhere to be seen. I've also plugged in my RGB fan hub to my PSU but thats not relevent to the main cables that i don't know where to plug in.
i hope that's what you needed. I tried to mention everything i know about my system but to be honest i don't know much. please let me know if there's anything else you need me to mention

the "data" cable for the hhd is nowhere to be seen.
these wouldn't be included with the power supply but would be in the motherboard accessories pack.
your previous cable should still be in place though if all you've done is replace the PSU.
this smaller data cable just connects directly from the motherboard SATA port to the drive.
looks like this:
12-119-270-03.jpg

i've also plugged in 1 of 3 cables that are supposed to plug into my harddrive.
what is the 3rd cable?
a cable on which has "CPU" written on the side of the plug
and this is connected to the right motherboard port?
should be an 8pin port above the CPU location near to the top of the board.
I turned the switch on, press the pc power and nothing happens.
How can I make sure the power supply works?
are there any onboard lights that show on any of the devices when powered on?
and everything had been functioning as it should before you switched to the new PSU?
you have actually switched on the power supply's main rear power switch, right?

to verify if the PSU functions at all you can look up how to do a safe power on test.

Solution
Aug 26, 2021
looks like this:
12-119-270-03.jpg

what is the 3rd cable?

and this is connected to the right motherboard port?
should be an 8pin port above the CPU location near to the top of the board.

are there any onboard lights that show on any of the devices when powered on?
and everything had been functioning as it should before you switched to the new PSU?

to verify if the PSU functions at all you can look up how to do a safe power on test.
You are right, I just need to test my new psu. I see there is a paper clip test. I'm a bit scared of doing this and ruining the whole thing. Can I screw the psu by putting the paper clip in the wrong places? there are no colors in the 24pin cable

Aug 26, 2021
You are right, I just need to test my new psu. I see there is a paper clip test. I'm a bit scared of doing this and ruining the whole thing. Can I screw the psu by putting the paper clip in the wrong places? there are no colors in the 24pin cable
I just did the paper clip test. The power supply works fine with the clip, but not when the 24 pin is plugged to the motherboard. What does this mean? The motherboard can not work?

Aug 26, 2021
To clarify: I 'm helping my kid putting together this PC. He bought all the parts. Last part is the PSU, which works fine. But are not sure what other connections we need to make. There are too many cables and we don't know where they go.
We connected:
-the PSU to the wall
-the 24pin to the motherboard
-a CPU cable from PSU to the motherboard
-a SATA from PSU to fan (not working either)
-We didn't find anything on the graphics card to connect to.

I am sure we are doing something wrong. Any help?

I am sure we are doing something wrong. Any help?
answer my previous questions:
are there any onboard lights that show on any devices when powered on?

a SATA from PSU to fan (not working either)
what type of fan is it that needs SATA power?
provide an image of the fan's cable(s).