Connecting a DVI-D video card to a high refresh monitor with DisplayPort

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hi , I'd like to ask you a question about monitors . I am thinking of buying a high refresh monitor (like Asus PG248Q) . The problem is that a video card I'd like to connect to the monitor has only DVI-D (dual link) exit (it is a GTX 580 card) , while such high refresh monitors have only DisplayPort slot .
So I wonder if it is possible to connect that video card to such a monitor . I looked around and I found cables or adapters that can convert from DVI-D to DisplayPort , but in some of them I noticed they do that on 60Hz . But is it possible to be larger than that ?
By the way , let me specify that I don't need 144 or 160 or 180 Hz when I connect that old card . 75 Hz would be great . I just want to avoid the 60 Hz . Now 60 Hz might be nice too , I am not sure . What I know is that I used to have 75 Hz on my old 19'' monitor , so just to be sure I'd like to have once again 75 Hz .
To be honest , I also have a 27'' monitor at the office , which only works on 60 Hz and looks fine . I don't know why this new 27'' monitor does not bother me while the old 19'' annoys me when both are on 60 Hz . Maybe it's the fact that the 27'' monitor I have in the office is LED . In any case I'd like the new monitor I am about to buy to work on 75 Hz instead of 60 , so that's why I am asking you .

Oh , one more thing : I know that such a modern monitor would work nicely with a modern video card . Well , I do have a modern card (a GTX 1060) and that's the reason why I want to buy a correspondent monitor . What I care , though , is to also be able to connect my old card (lets say my old PC) because from time to time there will be older programs I'll need to run or even play older games .

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
I have tried to find another , but I can't . Up to now the only 24'' monitors I have found are :
- Asus PG248Q
- AOC G2460PG
- Acer Predator XB1 XB241H
but all of them can only support DisplayPort (they also support HDMI , but HDMI is by default limited to 60 Hz) .
The only monitor I have found that has DVI-D slot is the Asus VG248QE . However this is an older monitor and does not have G-SYNC .

All G-Sync monitors have either a single DisplayPort or 1 DP 1 HDMI. There are no G-Sync monitors with DVI, the only option you have is to get a G-Sync monitor with HDMI and use a DVI to HDMI adapter, but you will be limited to 60 Hz. There are no DVI to DP adapters that support more than 60 Hz.