[SOLVED] Connecting a fan to RGB_HEADER causes beeping. Any alternatives?

markhession17

Commendable
Jun 10, 2018
I have an asrock 2320m pro4 motherboard. I recently got a new case (nzxt h500). This comes with 2 exhaust fans which I have plugged into the 2 case fan slots of my mobo (a 3 pin and 4pin). But now I want to add an intake fan. I only have two slots on my motherboard left, one called amd header and the other rgb header. However when I plug a fan into it only works if I plug in half the pins and it makes a beeping noise. Is there any sort of splitter or hub etc I can get so I can add an intake fan or is there another way?
A1W5Nif5K5L._SX522_.jpg

The fan I am trying to add is just a random stock fan from my old case (which it worked fine on but I only had 2 fans in that case)

Solution
My BAD!! I looked up the mobo name you gave, not realizing that the model no. should start with an A, not a 2, and then I did not check carefully that I got the right manual. Now, you have not told us whether your third fan is 3-pin or 4-pin. But get a simple SPLITTER for 4-pin systems, like one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EK-Water-B...=fan+splitter&qid=1562247685&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Demiawakin...=fan+splitter&qid=1562247685&s=gateway&sr=8-3

That last one is a small circuit board that you would need to fasten down safely so it does not move and short out somewhere. Or, that...

markhession17

Commendable
Jun 10, 2018
I have tried that, basically any combination of plugging my 3 fans into the 2 normal slots and the rgb slot ends with only 2 fans spinning or 3 spinning but one beeping (whichever is plugged into the rgb slot beeps).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
According to ita manual, your mobo has THREE CHA-FAN headers. See manual p. 7-8, items 17 and 18 (bottom front) and 25 (middle rear). If you have only three case fans, that's enough.

You MAY have a problem with the 3-pin fan, though. The mobo maqnual does NOT indicate that any of the headers can be configured to use the older Voltage Control Mode to control their fan;s speeds, and they all appear to be 4-pin headers that can use onyl the newer PWM Mode. If that is so, then any 3-pin fan plugged into such a header will always run full speed - you have no way to control its speed. Given that fact, the result for that fan uusis exactly the same as if you had connected it to a fixed 12 VDC supply directly from the PSU, so you MIGHT want to do that and free up one of your mobo fan headers. To do it, you need a small adapter that cllows you to connect that 3-pin fan to a PSU power output connector, either a 4-pin Molex one or a SATA power connector.

Reactions: DMAN999

markhession17

Commendable
Jun 10, 2018
According to ita manual, your mobo has THREE CHA-FAN headers. See manual p. 7-8, items 17 and 18 (bottom front) and 25 (middle rear). If you have only three case fans, that's enough.

You MAY have a problem with the 3-pin fan, though. The mobo maqnual does NOT indicate that any of the headers can be configured to use the older Voltage Control Mode to control their fan;s speeds, and they all appear to be 4-pin headers that can use onyl the newer PWM Mode. If that is so, then any 3-pin fan plugged into such a header will always run full speed - you have no way to control its speed. Given that fact, the result for that fan uusis exactly the same as if you had connected it to a fixed 12 VDC supply directly from the PSU, so you MIGHT want to do that and free up one of your mobo fan headers. To do it, you need a small adapter that cllows you to connect that 3-pin fan to a PSU power output connector, either a 4-pin Molex one or a SATA power connector.
Are you sure I have 3 fan headers(not including cpu)? Because the specs seem to say only 2, a 3 pin and a 4 pin
Specification ->Connector

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My BAD!! I looked up the mobo name you gave, not realizing that the model no. should start with an A, not a 2, and then I did not check carefully that I got the right manual. Now, you have not told us whether your third fan is 3-pin or 4-pin. But get a simple SPLITTER for 4-pin systems, like one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EK-Water-B...=fan+splitter&qid=1562247685&s=gateway&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Demiawakin...=fan+splitter&qid=1562247685&s=gateway&sr=8-3

That last one is a small circuit board that you would need to fasten down safely so it does not move and short out somewhere. Or, that Deepcool item you linked to is the same as this board item.

Either of your mobo fan headers can easily power two normal case fans. Although these items are of the 4-pin design, you CAN plug them into a 3-pin mobo header, and you CAN plug into either Splitter both 3- and 4-pin fans.So how you use depends on which type your third fan is. If it is the 3-pin type, then connect it and your other 3-pin fan to this Splitter and plug that into the 3-pin mobo fan header so they both can share the Voltage Control Mode signals from that header. On the other hand, if the third fan is 4-pin, use the Splitter on the mobo 4-pin header to connect two 4-pin fans to that header using the newer PWM Mode for control.

If you find it hard to get a Splitter from an on-line source, check with local computer parts shops - they should have something like this. A small note. When you use a Splitter, the mobo can detect and show you the speed of only ONE of the fans connected to it. This has NO impact on ability to control the fan speed.

Solution