Connecting a GTX 580 to a Display Port monitor (either from the mini HDMI or the DVI-I exit)

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Hi , let me ask you a question :
I would like to connect my GTX 580 video card to a monitor which has one DP 1.2 slot and one HDMI 1.4 .
The problem is that the GTX 580 card only has these exits : DVI-I (dual) and mini HDMI .
Since the monitor only supports 60 Hz through the HDMI (while I want at least 75 Hz) , I thought I look around about how to connect the video through its DVI-I exit towards the DP input of the monitor .

So , I'd like to ask you if are there any cables or converters from DVI-I to Display Port ? I googled it and although I get some results in Google reading "DVI-I to Display Port" , when I go on to these pages , I see that they are actually the opposite ones (from DP to DVI-I) .
In case there are , will they be possible to maintain the 144 Hz of my monitor ? (although in my case 75 Hz will be enough)

This HDMI to DisplayPort adapter will work up to 120 Hz at 1080p.
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-DisplayPort-Converter-Compliant-Dual-Mode/dp/B01BXMOREI/

HDMI is not limited to 60 Hz, that is a myth.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
First of all , let me make a correction :
The video card I am trying to connect (a GTX 580) has DVI-I out (not a DVI-D which I mistakenly wrote at the first place ; I now corrected the first post) .
That is it has 3x8 pin-slots and next to them there are a cross and 4 pin-slots around the cross . If this is not a DVI-I , please correct me .

Now , back to the discussion :

Looks interesting , but let me ask a few more questions :
(1) The video card which I want to connect is a GTX 580 , which does not have a HDMI exit . It does however have a "mini HDMI" . What can I do in this case ? Is there a correspondent converter from mini HDMI to Display Port ? Or is it possible to use the same converter you mentioned above PLUS a "mini HDMI" to a "normal HDMI" between the PC and the converter mentioned above ? In the last case , is there any danger to lose the above 60 Hz refresh rate ?
(2) The converter you mentioned above , can I connect it without USB ? If I have to , I can achieve a free USB slot directly to the motherboard , but if I don't have to I'd like it to not use the USB connection . I hope I won't have to because , I don't need to transmit the 7.1 sound this product says it can do . However , I repeat , if I must , I will make sure I'll have a free USB slot .
(3) At the product's website , it says :
Please make sure your monitor with DP input is HDCP compliant if HDMI output of the source is HDCP protected !!
What does it mean ? In case it matters , my monitor is a PG248Q (it has one DP 1.2 slot and one HDMI 1.4) .
(4) At the product's website , it says :
DP output does not support MST Hubs !!
What's that ?

You can use either a DVI to HDMI adapter or a Mini HDMI to Full-size HDMI adapter. You can then plug the HDMI to DP adapter into those. They will not affect the operation of the HDMI to DP adapter.

DVI-D vs DVI-I are identical except that DVI-I supports DVI-VGA adapters. Otherwise they are the same. If you are not using a VGA adapter, then DVI-I and DVI-D are the same thing. There is no difference in compatibility with other equipment besides VGA adapters.

The adapter requires the power from the USB port to operate. You cannot use the adapter at all without it.

Don't worry about the HDCP. That is mainly for media devices like DVD or Blu-ray players. Computers do not use HDCP.

MST hub is a hub that splits one DisplayPort port into multiple DP ports so you can connect several monitors to a single port. Such hubs will not work on an HDMI adapter, since HDMI does not support multiple independent displays on a single port.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
OK , let me repeat it myself , because I am quite afraid with these things !

So , I have the GTX 580 video card with these exits : mini HDMI and DVI-I .
There at that point I must first use a converter ,which can either be a :
a) DVI-I to HDMI or
b) mini HDMI to full HDMI
In both cases , from my video card I will reach out on a HDMI state .
Then , I should use the converter you mentioned at the start , that is a converter from HDMI to Display Port .
Am I saying it right ?

And regardless of the combination of the converters , I will still be able to have more than 60 Hz . Right ?

Yes, that is correct.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
OK , but I am worrying about one thing .
First , let me give these details :
My monitor supports these :
a) DisplayPort on : 60 , 85 , 100 , 120 and 144 Hz
b) HDMI on : only 60 Hz

Therefore , when I will use these HDMI converters , isn't there any danger that at the end the monitor will still display at 60 Hz ? I understand that through the method we discussed , the signal will reach the monitor into the DP slot , not into the HDMI ,, but it is the fact that somewhere in between all this process there is still some HDMI going on ! and I am afraid that at the end I might still be getting only 60 Hz !

No. If the monitor is limited to 60 Hz over HDMI, that only applies to the HDMI port on the monitor, as you said, you are connecting to the DP port which is not limited. The limitations of the monitor's HDMI port do not matter in this case, only the capabilities of the HDMI source and the adapter.

Fermi graphics cards (GTX 580 generation) may be limited to 225 Mpx/s (1080p 85 Hz) over HDMI. I'm not sure if the GTX 580 itself has this limitation.

The adapter can go up to 120 Hz 1080p, this I have tested myself.

So there should be no problems getting 1080p 75 Hz here.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Since :
a) my monitor , on DP , supports 60 , 85 , 120 and 144 Hz and
b) the converter can reach up to 120 Hz (for 1920x1080 which is exactly my resolution)
c) the GTX 580 might be limited to 85 Hz
I suppose that - at the end - from all available refresh combinations of the monitor , I will be getting only the 85 Hz one (and the 60 Hz) . Which of course is very good , because as I said 75 Hz was my goal . There isn't no 75 Hz option on my monitor , but no matter what 85 is more than 75 so it's going to be fine .
However , I wonder , is there a way to find out what's the maximum refresh rate in the mini HDMI slot of the GTS 580 ? Because if it is below 85 Hz , then I won't be getting anything else than just 60 Hz .

Ports don't have maximum refresh rates, they have maximum bandwidths/pixel rates. The GTX 580 HDMI ports may have a maximum pixel rate of either 225 Mpx/s (enough for 85 Hz at 1080p) or 297 Mpx/s (enough for 120 Hz at 1080p). I am not able to find out which one.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
All right . But in any case it won't drop below 85 Hz , right ?

Oh and something else : I think there is only one single combination of converters : from mini HDMI to full HDMI , and then from HDMI to DP . That is it's impossible to use a DVI to HDMI converter . Because I see that in a previous topic you had told me that : "There are no DVI to DP adapters that support more than 60 Hz" .
Link here :
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-3658936/connecting-dvi-video-card-high-refresh-monitor-displayport.html

A DVI to HDMI adapter with an HDMI to DP converter would still work. There are no converters that will directly convert a DVI signal to DisplayPort at more than 60 Hz.

When you use a DVI to HDMI adapter you are no longer dealing with DVI signals, so the restrictions do not apply. The graphics card sends out HDMI signals instead. And converting from HDMI to DP at more than 60 Hz is possible.

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
OK . For the time being , I got myself the first piece of the recipe : a mini HDMI to full HDMI cable .
I suppose it's the same with a converter , right ? I mean it doesn't matter that in stead of a small piece of a converter I got a whole cable , right ?

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
Well , no . I think what I need is to get out of the GTX 580 having a female slot of HDMI (not a male , that the cable offers) , in order to use the HDMI to DP converter you showed me at the beginning .
So I should get an adapter of : male mini HDMI to female full HDMI .
Is this one good :
https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Pack-Adapter-Inches/dp/B00MU2YPXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1534748584&sr=1-1&keywords=Cable+Matters+2+Pack+Mini+HDMI+to+HDMI+Adapter+%28HDMI+to+Mini+HDMI+Adapter%29+6+Inches
If not , please tell me your opinion .

bubra100

Reputable
Nov 29, 2017
All right . Thanks , Glenwing ! I'll see what I can I do .
In the mean time , another idea crossed my mind : Maybe a better solution (it offers a sure solution but is more expensive) is to buy a GTX 960 video card (a used one) . Because it's both :
a) able to work in WinXP (it was the last one to have drivers to WinXP and it is the WinXP that I am keeping my GTX 580) and
b) has a DisplayPort exit (so that I will connect it directly to the monitor without adapters) .
The only problem is that I don't know where I could find one ...