Connecting a monitor and a TV to my pc

grundles

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I have built a gaming PC that I intend to use as a dedicated server but I also want it connected to my TV so I don't need to put all my films onto an external hdd to watch them. So the solution I came up with was to have my TV connected to my PC as well as my monitor. But I'm having some problems deciding how to properly do it. I currently have my monitor connected through HDMI, I only have one hdmi port on my graphics card. So I thought an hdmi splitter would be a good option but then I hear bad stories about them having problems. So my next idea was connect my TV with hdmi and my monitor with dvi, but will this mean that my gaming on my monitor won't be as good because the gpu now has two devices connected to it (even if the TV is turned off or not selecting hdmi as the source)? Any help would be appreciated.

My system:
I7 6700K
Asrock z170 extreme 6
32GB corsair vengeance DDR4
512GB Samsung 850 pro
2x 2TB seagate barracuda
Corsair AX860
MSI gtx 970
Windows 10

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't think having 2 outputs 'active' from your GPU would impact the quality to any noticeable extent.

What spec do you have? If you have onboard graphics, you could connect to your TV there. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything GPU dependent on the TV (watching movies?) so that would serve your purpose well

*EDIT* You've listed your specs now. The i7-6700K has IG (HD 530 as per http://ark.intel.com/products/88195/Intel-Core-i7-6700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_20-GHz) so that should serve you fine. Your mobo has HDMI out as per http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/Z170%20Extreme6/

Your Idea is correct. Connect the TV via HDMI and the monitor via DVI. You will not lose GPU performance unless you are playing a movie on the TV at the same time. I use a second monitor just to view Precision X and my CPU usage/temps. The GPU is not having to render for another display.

HDMI carries video and audio signals, DVI carries video only.

DVI can stream up to 1920×1200 HD video, or with dual-link DVI connectors you can support up to 2560×1600 pixels.

HDMI cables can stream digital video and audio simultaneously over the same cable. HDMI cables support up to 1920×1200 HD video and 8 channel audio. They also support HDCP encryption for the newest HD content

If you want to hear audio coming out of the TV's speakers, connect it with HDMI (unless you want to run 1/8 inch to rca cables from the computer to the TV's audio inputs). But then you would have to disconnect the 1/8 inch to rca cable from the computer and plug in the connection from your speakers (I assume in your monitor) to be able to hear audio when gaming.

grundles

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
I don't think having 2 outputs 'active' from your GPU would impact the quality to any noticeable extent.

What spec do you have? If you have onboard graphics, you could connect to your TV there. Doesn't sound like you're doing anything GPU dependent on the TV (watching movies?) so that would serve your purpose well

I have put up my specs. I do have integrated graphics but I didn't think you can use integrated graphics as well as a discreet graphics card?

And no just movies on the TV

grundles

Reputable
Feb 24, 2015
Your Idea is correct. Connect the TV via HDMI and the monitor via DVI. You will not lose GPU performance unless you are playing a movie on the TV at the same time. I use a second monitor just to view Precision X and my CPU usage/temps. The GPU is not having to render for another display.

HDMI carries video and audio signals, DVI carries video only.

I thought this would be the best solution. Well my next problem is that if I plug in my computer speakers to the audio jack on the mobo it's cuts the sound through the hdmi. Is there any way I can tell it to send sound through both so I can get the sound through my TV without having to disconnect the speakers?

Yes, on the bottom right of your taskbar, right click your volume icon, select playback devices, set the one you want to "default device"

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

Not sure of ASRock potential, but you can enable onboard graphics from the BIOS is some cases, and run the two together.
I'm not 100% sure if this causes any issues for other elements though.