Connecting a netgear router as a repeater

Oct 6, 2018
Hi guys

Hoping you can help stear me in the right direction.

I'm trying to use my old Netgear R6220 as a wireless repeater. I want to use it for both 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands.

However when I go to the settings in Netgear router and select wireless repeater, and I select wireless repeater for the 2.4ghz I am then unable to highlight it for the 5ghz band and vice versa if I was to choose the 5ghz band first. Is it possible to repeat both bands?

It does give me the option to set it up as base stations though but I think that is for wired? I'm not too sure.

As a side note, I do have two cat5 wall inputs (one in each room) which I think would better to have them wired in each room rather than wirelessly but again not sure If this is possible? If it is possible what should I type into Google to help me research and understand?

Any help would be great

Thanks

You only really need 1 connection back to the main router. Most repeaters will use both radios to talk to end device even though only 1 connects back to the router.

You will get vastly better performance if you can use the ethernet connections in the wall. It all depends on how the wires really run.

You would want to run your netgear as a AP. You would use the in wall ethernet to connect between the router and the AP. Unlike a repeater a AP does not lose 1/2 the bandwidth because the radios are only talking to the end machine and do not have the extra transmissions to the router.