Question Connecting a PCIe NVMe SSD to an old AMD A6 5400K on an MSI A78-G41 mobo via an adapter card ?

Jayan_

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Hi everyone,

My mother's board natively does not have any M.2 slots so i bought This Adapter from aliexpress.. (link below). Will i be able to install Windows on an M.2 SSD attached to this adapter and boot my machine ? Does older bios recognize these as an HDD ?

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
unless there bios option to boot from pcie slot. unlikely on old motherboard like that
I have two old X58 motherboards. NVMe drives will work in an adaptor in most older boards. I got full PCI Gen 2 speeds.

There are some gurus that have modified individual board bioses to make such a drive bootable. Doesn't sound easy and it seems you may need to contact someone like a Turkish programmer who has modded many board bioses.. but he has to also have the id of the drive and maybe the adaptor. I haven't gone to the effort to look into the issue or ask him or anyone else. Tinkering with and overclocking these old triple channel memory X58 systems can be fun, but I have current far faster and more capable machines for my real work--photo and video editing

Reactions: Jayan_

rbtree

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2013
Why are you trying to "force" an M2 drive onto that PC. There is no benefit. Just use a SATA SSD and you'll be fine.
Says who, you? SATA SSD's top out at about 550 MB/s. PCIe Gen 2 motherboards can hit about 1600 read and 1400 write when an NVMe drive is added to an adaptor. That's 3x the speed. Also, most of those 1366 socket boards were only SATA II, so figure 6x the speed. One of mine has two SATA III ports, which were heck to figure out. I set up the Marvel controller to run as Raid 0, but still didn't get to double the SATA II speeds..quite, as Raid 0 should

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayan_

USAFRet

Titan
Says who, you? SATA SSD's top out at about 550 MB/s. PCIe Gen 2 motherboards can hit about 1600 read and 1400 write when an NVMe drive is added to an adaptor. That's 3x the speed.
And that sequential speed of 1600 read would only be seen when copying files between two like drives.

In a blind test, I defy any to tell the difference outide of artificial benchmark numbers.

Reactions: Corwin65

Jayan_

Honorable
Jun 5, 2016
Why are you trying to "force" an M2 drive onto that PC. There is no benefit. Just use a SATA SSD and you'll be fine.
thank you for your reply. this is an old pc. there is a huge chance that this will fail in the near future considering sri lankas dollar shortage and sky rocketed price of computer equipment i was thinking about buying something that i will be able to directly connect and have full speed and advantages for my new pc when i buy it... :)

rgd1101

Don't
I have two old X58 motherboards. NVMe drives will work in an adaptor in most older boards. I got full PCI Gen 2 speeds.

There are some gurus that have modified individual board bioses to make such a drive bootable. Doesn't sound easy and it seems you may need to contact someone like a Turkish programmer who has modded many board bioses.. but he has to also have the id of the drive and maybe the adaptor. I haven't gone to the effort to look into the issue or ask him or anyone else. Tinkering with and overclocking these old triple channel memory X58 systems can be fun, but I have current far faster and more capable machines for my real work--photo and video editing
what is x58 got to do with A78?