Connecting a rj45 cordless phone to one of the ports of a wireless router

rahul_55

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015
Hallo,

i have a Belkin ADSL+ wireless router and i have a telephone with rj11 input. I want to buy a new cordless telephone which works on rj45 cable. I was wondering if i can connect the rj45 cable to the routers 4 output ethernet ports and the phone still work ?

Thanks
Rahul

Solution
I believe there is such a split in every installation. It's just that most of the time, it happens behind the faceplate of a small box on the wall. Mine does that and the phone plugs in one socket on that faceplate and the router another. I've never known that to cause a loss of bandwidth or interfere in any way with the Broadband side of the line.
A Plain Old Telephone (analog RJ11) and a VOIP telephone (digital RJ45) are two NON-INTERCHANGEABLE items. Which one do you have?

A VOIP phone also requires a special box to function, I have notice it's been recently incorporated into the ISP Gateway box, with RJ45 on the back cleared marked for PHONE, and of course you paid ISP for the service, because nothing is free.

rahul_55

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

Actually i have a problem with my wiring. A main telephone wire comes in which is then cut and splitted into my ADSL router (which has 4 ethernet outputs and is empty) and the other goes into my rj11 telephone set. Due to this split and the disturbance caused by the split, i loose some bandwidth and internet keeps breaking when im on a call with someone. Now i want to remove this split and make a single connection to router and from router connect a rj11 (or rj45) compatible phones. So i can avoid all the hassle of using a splitter and cutting.

rahul_55

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

But i believe there is a rj11 to rj45 adapters in the market. And no i am not looking into a voip phone. I am looking for a solution which i described in my post below. I either want connect a telephone first to the main cable and then from it to the router or vice versa. Just no splitting :)

Yes there is. But changing the cable doesn't mean the phone will work.

And no i am not looking into a voip phone.
Any time you say ROUTER and ETHERNET, you are talking VOIP.

I am looking for a solution which i described in my post below.
You can use CAT5 cable in lieu of phone wiring, everyday, just that the phone cannot be plugged into a router, can't go into your ethernet network, and can't work through the Internet.

rahul_55

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

Yes, we use a ADSL splitter. The input wire what we get to our home is just a two-copper cable. So what i did was i cut the main cable to join it to a rj11 cable which then goes into the input of the splitter. And Phone/modem output goes to respective devices.

rahul_55

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

hmmm.. i am not a telephone expert but i understand what u mean. My only issue is that my main telephone cable (which is just a 2 copper cable, one for data and one for voice) has a lot of disturbance (and probably diminishes my speed) in it when i use a ADSL j11 splitter to connect my telephone and my router. I was wondering is there any other better device than just a splitter to solve my problem.
Thanks for the info :)

I believe there is such a split in every installation. It's just that most of the time, it happens behind the faceplate of a small box on the wall. Mine does that and the phone plugs in one socket on that faceplate and the router another. I've never known that to cause a loss of bandwidth or interfere in any way with the Broadband side of the line.

Solution

ccampy

Honorable
Jan 4, 2014
You have it mixed up your phone line is not one for.voice and one for data they both use both cable's these should connect to your phone socket you then use a device called a filter to give you a connection to your home phone and a rj11 connection to your router

This worrks as your broadband uses different frequencies to your voice line

If your phone is making your Internet loose connection yoy have either a falty filter or a problem with your phone line and nned to contact your provider

A side-bar:

My cellular service is horrible at home, so lately I found MAGICJACK, a VOIP service. Downloaded the FREE App to my iPhone, domestic USA service is FREE, International, minimal cost. It talks directly to my my home network, there is no extra equipment, nothing to buy from the ISP, WORKS GREAT. Domestic audio quality is great, haven't tried international yet. Am landline-less since 2006.

Don't work for MagicJack, not telling you go buy it.

Yep - we always get the thin endof the wedge due to the history of the monopoly provider which still has its filthy hands on the Firbre Optic side of the market.

We have to pay a monthly line rental and get a bill even if we don't even plug a phone into the system.