connecting a tv for use as a monitor

Jan 20, 2019
Like the guy before me, I am trying to solve the "resolution mismatch" error message.
I am trying to connect a 2010 Emerson flatscreen tv to use as my sole monitor to a Dell desktop computer. My computer was bought reconditioned with Windows 10 home edition.
It doesn't have hdmi so I'm having to go from VGA to HDMI using an VGA+USB Audio to HDMI Adapter. The USB plugs into the back of computer for power and audio.
When connected I hear the chime that it is recognizing something is plugged in but the tv has a black screen (oh, I am using HDMI 1) and the screen flashes the message about the resolution mismatch and says to change the devices settings. --- does that mean the tv's.

I don't know what the tv's resolution setting is because it doesn't show in the menu. Just gives me the option of changing from Personal, Standard, Movie etc.
My computer monitor show to be set at 1920x1080.

I've been at this trying different adapters, combinations, settings etc for 2 weeks off and on and getting frustrated and more confused by the minute! Feel like giving up, but it ain't in my DNA!!

Any suggestions?