Connecting a Yagi antenna with a TP-Link wa5210g

xcoyote

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I have a yagi antenna I'm not using. I have a wa5210g wireless repeater which picks up a signal (I have permission to do so and we share cost of the internet bill), but the current setup loses about half the internet download speed from the main access point.

I'm wanting to point a yagi antenna directly at the source, I'm assuming the yagi will give a more direct line to the original source, therefore getting a better (faster) signal.

First, is this true? Will I get a better, faster signal?
Second, can this be done? Hooking up the yagi with the wa5210g?

kanewolf

Titan
I doubt you could hook up the yagi, and keep the weatherproofing intact. Maybe you have the AP in a location where it can't get rained on. You would have to disassemble the unit and solder a connection. It might work, it might not. The biggest problem I see is that unit is only 801.11g not 11n. Get an Engenius ENS202 -- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168115 and replace your wireless G with wireless N.

Solution

It looks like the wa5210g already has a 12 dBi antenna - unless you have a monster yagi (say 18 dBi or more) it is unlikely to be very helpful, even if you could easily hook it up (which you probably can't).

You would be better off with a modern pair of dedicated point-to-point bridges.

xcoyote

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
Thank you for the prompt answers! I'm not going to take apart the wa5210g and solder anything to it, I'm not that desperate! LOL

I've been looking at that Engenius product. I'm digging it! The router that actually sends out the signal from the original source is a Cisco-Links E1000. Will the Engenius work with that router?

kanewolf

Titan

Yeah it doesn't care what router is on the other end. When Frontier took over Verizon FIOS in my area I setup an Engenius to connect to a neighbor that wasn't impacted. The Engenius can act as a bridge, outdoor access point or router. I set it up as a router and just unplugged my FIOS router from my network.

xcoyote

Reputable
Jul 22, 2015
I was wondering, if I get TWO of these Engenius things, could I use one in place of the E1000 and use the other in place of the wa5210g and receive a stronger signal? The signal coming from the service provider is at 30mgs. Where I'm located, I'm only getting about 3mgs. I used to get at least double that, but these last few weeks the speeds have been low for some reason. I think when the service provider updated their modem, things got slower on my end. Does that make sense?