[SOLVED] Connecting Acer Nitro 5 to Acer Gsync monitor with HDMI to DP cable ?

Dominoath

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Hey there I bought this acer nitro 5 laptop https://www.harveynorman.com.au/ace...-10300h-8gb-512gb-ssd-rtx3060-6gb-laptop.html
I also have an acer predator gsync 100hz 3440x1440 monitor I want to use with it.
So far i've only been able to get the hdmi to hdmi working but its locked at like 50 or 60 hz.
I bought this hdmi 2.0 to DP cable https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B082CXMBCQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

but its not displaying anything, and doesn't seem to be showing any signs within NVidia control panel or hardware devices.
Is there any troubleshooting I could do to try and get this to register?
Or should this really have just worked from the get go.

There is also a USB-C port on the laptop though I read somewhere that it may not even be connected to the GPU ?

Solution
Hey there,

As far as I know, G-sync is only available through DP for Freesync compatibility.

Given you've tried a connector, the only other option is to get a USB-c to DP cable and see if it works. Looing at Acers current laptops, it seems DP over USB C is supported:

USB Type-C DetailUSB Type-C Port Supporting:
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
  • DisplayPort over USB-C
  • Thunderbolt 4
  • USB charging 5 V; 3 A
Hey there,

As far as I know, G-sync is only available through DP for Freesync compatibility.

Given you've tried a connector, the only other option is to get a USB-c to DP cable and see if it works. Looing at Acers current laptops, it seems DP over USB C is supported:

USB Type-C DetailUSB Type-C Port Supporting:
  • USB 3.2 Gen 2 (up to 10 Gbps)
  • DisplayPort over USB-C
  • Thunderbolt 4
  • USB charging 5 V; 3 A

Solution

Dominoath

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
That may be a different model as mine doesnt have thunderbolt,
Getting Gsync working was a long shot but I would have liked a higher refresh rate at least, the hdmi 2.0 to DP should handle higher than 50 or 60 hz 3440x1440 as the specs claim,
is there any reason why i'm not getting any signal at all? Any thing i can troubleshoot?
Read somewhere that there may be some settings inside intel control panel that forces the GPU over IGPU but that was a earlier model

is there any reason why i'm not getting any signal at all?

Read the product description. It states 5 separate times:

The unidirectional DP to HDMI cable connects DP-equipped computer / graphics card to monitor, HDTV or projector with HDMI output for audio and video streaming.

Not bi-directional: Only converts signal from DisplayPort to HDMI!

Troubleshootings: 1. When I connect host to external monitor, no image display. Please make sure that the DP plug connects to host PC / laptop, HDMI plug connects to monitor. It's an unidirectional DisplayPort to HDMI cable, if you reverse the connection, it will NOT display anything.

Wide Compatibility: Display Port to HDMI adapter cable is compatible with all displayport equipped laptops / computers / desktops / graphics cards, like GTX 960, ThinkPad T420, Dell 780, Lenovo T520i and more. Can work for all HDMI enabled monitors, TVs, projectors and etc.

Features & details ⚡[ Unidirectional DP to HDMI Converter ]: The DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 male to male cable enables you to connect DisplayPort (DP, DP++, DisplayPort++) equipped devices like desktop / laptop / computer / graphics cards to HDMI monitor, HDTV and projector for audio and video streaming. 💗💗💗Note: This is DP to HDMI cord which only can convert signal from DP to HDMI. It is NOT Bi-directional, doesn’t support HDMI to DP.

If you want to connect HDMI to DisplayPort, you need an HDMI to DisplayPort adapter, not DisplayPort to HDMI. There are some HDMI to DisplayPort adapters linked in the pinned thread. https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/how-to-connect-to-a-120-hz-display.3268285/

Dominoath

Commendable
Apr 24, 2019
Thanks, looking at these adapters now, cant seem to find any info on 3440x1440 resolutions, just 4k at 60hz. Any idea the bandwidth and what hz I could expect on 3440x1440?
I'm guessing gsync is a no