Connecting Adsl2+ modem router with Belkin N300 Router withour modem

Jit50

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014
Can i connect any modem router with my Belkin N300 wireless router (which is without Modem)?

I am using a Beetel 450TC1 Modem right now, which is outdated and and most of the options available in the market are of Adsl 2+ modem with routers. So, would the connection work if i connect the primary phone line to my Adsl 2+ Modem router and then connect the Belkin n300 via Ethernet cable?

Solution
You have 2 options:

1) Configure modem into bridge mode:
https://broadbandforum.co/threads/can-the-beetel-450tc1-be-used-in-modem-only-mode.70415/
You will then need to set router to PPPoE connection type and get your username and passwrord from dsl provider.

2) Setup Belkin as an access point.
By dissabling wifi from adsl modem and settng the belkin router as an access point it will still allow the belkin to handle wifi and the adsl modem to do all of the router processing while keeping it one big network. The downside is that most adsl modem/routers have less configurable options then standalone routers.
To do this you need to know the IP of your adsl modem, and its dhcp range. Lets assume the adsl modem's IP is 192.168.0.1 with...

nuts32605

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
You're trying to connect a ADSL2+ Modem/router combo to your Belkin router, correct? You can connect the WAN port from the Belkin to one of the modem's LAN ports. It's configuring the two to make them get along is the hard part.

Jit50

Reputable
Oct 24, 2014

Well, connecting them via Ethernet cable is fine, but what would be the settings on these 2 devices? and which modem/ router combo should i go for?

Please suggest.

You have 2 options:

1) Configure modem into bridge mode:
https://broadbandforum.co/threads/can-the-beetel-450tc1-be-used-in-modem-only-mode.70415/
You will then need to set router to PPPoE connection type and get your username and passwrord from dsl provider.

2) Setup Belkin as an access point.
By dissabling wifi from adsl modem and settng the belkin router as an access point it will still allow the belkin to handle wifi and the adsl modem to do all of the router processing while keeping it one big network. The downside is that most adsl modem/routers have less configurable options then standalone routers.
To do this you need to know the IP of your adsl modem, and its dhcp range. Lets assume the adsl modem's IP is 192.168.0.1 with DHCP range of 192.168.0.100-.254. On the belkin you would plug an computer into it and set the IP to 192.168.0.2 (number is not in the DHCP range of the adsl modem), the subnet to 255.255.255.0, then set both the gateway and dns address to adsl modem's ip address (in example that is the 192.168.0.1), dissable dhcp server and dissable spi firewall (not an option on all routers). You would then plug ethernet from LAN of ADSL router to LAN port (not wan port) of belkin router.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS