Connecting an Access Point to a Switch causes Router's Wifi Internet to stop working

Camoron

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
I am working on a small office network, trying to install 2 Wireless Access points across the hall in a new office unit. I got an access point up and running by connecting it to an 8 port switch which is connected to the router. The router is using most of its 4 ports with various devices, and the switch has a few devices connected as well. Some in the office are connected with a hardwire, others use wifi only. When I connected the new access point to the switch (and rebooted the whole network to get everything running), the old Netgear router's internet worked, and the Access Point also had working internet. Then, after a few minutes, the Netgear router's internet over Wireless went down, though the Access Point's wifi is fine and the internet still works as long as it's connected via hardline, only the WiFi is not working (though the WiFi NETWORK is fine and can be connected to, just no internet access!). If I unplug the Access Point cable from the switch and reboot the router, the router's wifi internet will work. I am very confused about what is happening here. The router is old, so my only thought would be that it may be having trouble handling the extra traffic. Does anyone have any ideas before I go out and buy a new router?

Thanks

Just for clairity, when you say the wifi network does not work, do you mean just the wireless, thus all devices plugged into its Ethernet ports work just fine?

What model are these access points?

Have you set a static IP for the access Points?

Have you set the routers/WAPs to use non-interfering channels?

Camoron

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi,

The access points are working fine, the Wifi on them is working. They are not set to be static (didn't think I'd need to do that) and honestly I haven't configured them much yet because I am trying to keep the original network up first. They are EnGenius EAP600s though I have only set one up as of now (and it's currently disconnected from the network).

The problem is the old router, which is running the first office's wireless. This is an older Netgear WNDR3300 from around 2008. The network layout is as follows:

Cable Modem > netgear WNDR3300 router > 8 port switch > (ethernet cable spanning about 150 ft to a separate office) > EnGenius access point

The problem is, when I plugged in the EnGenius access point into the switch, the Netgear router's WiFi internet drops after a few moments. The network itself is fine and the signal is strong, it's only the internet. I don't think it's an issue of conflicting signals because the Access Point is in a completely separate room and the dual-band router loses both 2.4 and 5 GHz internet connectivity.