[SOLVED] Connecting an external power load to a running computer

Pimpom

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
If an extra moderate load is connected to the PSU of a computer while it is running - say a 1A load to the 12V rail via a Molex connector, is there a danger of corrupting or damaging something, especially an existing HDD? Connections like USB are obviously designed to avoid this by sequencing the contacts, and possibly by software negotiation.

What about an improvised load connector, such as a Molex to barrel DC connector? I'm concerned more about the effect on the internal components of the running computer rather on the external load.

Solution
To be clear, my concern is not about the magnitude of the load, but about possible spikes occurring while the connector is being inserted.

You said "moderate load" on the first post, a moderate load won't affect anything.

The only thing you might be worry for is the CPU, fortunately, according to ATX specs, the CPU gets a dedicated power cable that comes from separate 12V rail.

BTW, do you have to use the PSU's 12V to run your thing? If you are so concerned about it, you also can use a 12V adapter.
To be clear, my concern is not about the magnitude of the load, but about possible spikes occurring while the connector is being inserted.

You said "moderate load" on the first post, a moderate load won't affect anything.

The only thing you might be worry for is the CPU, fortunately, according to ATX specs, the CPU gets a dedicated power cable that comes from separate 12V rail.

BTW, do you have to use the PSU's 12V to run your thing? If you are so concerned about it, you also can use a 12V adapter.

Solution