[SOLVED] connecting an old VGA monitor to new desktop tower?

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
hello
i just purchased a new well appointed desktop tower with a dedicated graphics card.
my current monitor which i hope to use for the moment is an older dell monitor with a VGA only connection manufactured in 2003.
is it possible to connect this old VGA monitor to the HDMI port on the new desktop?
i have done some research and i know there is an adapter for VGA to HDMI however i see people have mixed results with its success?

does this type of adapter work or will there be a compatibility issue between the analog signal from the old monitor/cable
and the HDMI port on the rear of the new desktop?
the computer has yet to arrive but i think the HDMI and DISPLAY port are part of the video card assembly.

thanks

Solution
hello
i just purchased a new well appointed desktop tower with a dedicated graphics card.
my current monitor which i hope to use for the moment is an older dell monitor with a VGA only connection manufactured in 2003.
is it possible to connect this old VGA monitor to the HDMI port on the new desktop?
i have done some research and i know there is an adapter for VGA to HDMI however i see people have mixed results with its success?

does this type of adapter work or will there be a compatibility issue between the analog signal from the old monitor/cable
the computer has yet to arrive but i think the HDMI and DISPLAY port are part of the video card assembly.

thanks

It should be...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
hello

thanks

It should be fine, I have a pair of old, cheapo $2-3 HDMI to VGA out adapter and they work fine. I use them for plugging in an old monitor to the home server rig (HD 5770 outputs HDMI, to a 15" Dell monitor with VGA), and the occasional projector with VGA now that my laptop only has HDMI out.

HDMI to VGA adapters should be active adapters, with some sort of dongle hanging around instead of passive (just changing form factors). As you understand, one is digital signal and the other analog.

Solution

toha409

Honorable
Mar 12, 2017
Thanks
are these type of adaptors typically all the “active” Type or are some passive?
also is there any chance that forcing this configuration could damage the new graphics card In any way?